Jordan Hill decides to transfer from Badgers basketball program

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
One of the most stable of college basketball programs will see a bit of instability this offseason. That’s because for the first time since George Marshall, the Wisconsin Badgers will have a player transferring out of the program.

Redshirt junior guard Jordan Hill will be granted his release from the program, per a release by the athletic department. He is set to earn his degree this spring and will pursue other opportunities.

“I am so grateful for the opportunity to spend four years studying and playing at Wisconsin,” Hill said in a press release. “In May, I will be graduating with an incredible degree from a world-class institution. Making the decision to leave the program was one of the hardest things I’ve had to do in life, but I had to make the best decision for myself.”

Hill went on to thank everyone associated with the program for his time in Madison and harbors no ill-will at all over his time in a Badgers uniform.

Greg Gard made it clear that UW will be in his corner with this decision as well.

“We want to thank Jordan for his dedication to our program and congratulate him on getting his degree,” Gard said. “He was a valuable member of some very successful teams at Wisconsin. We wish him well and will do whatever we can to help him both on and off the court moving forward.”

Hill leaves the program having averaged 1.9 points, 1.1 rebounds and 0.5 assists per game. Part of the reason for his transfer could be the decrease in playing time, after playing 467 minutes in just 30 games last season, Hill saw just 356 minutes in 35 games of action this year.

As for the 2017-18 Badgers, Hill’s departure makes what could’ve been a crowded backcourt a little less crowded. Incoming freshman like Kobe King and Brad Davison are expected to get in the rotation quickly, while sophomore Brevin Pritzl is also likely to see increased playing time based off of this past season.

The post Jordan Hill decides to transfer from Badgers basketball program appeared first on A Wisconsin Badgers Site.

Continue reading...

Could kind of see this coming. Pritzl seemed to get more of Hill's minutes toward the end of the year. Still, with both Koenig and Showy moving on it seemed like a veteran would have gotten minutes next year. It's likely Trice gets the nod at PG and Pritzl starts at SG, but after that there are questions. Davison is highly ranked and could get PG minutes and King is obviously a talented kid who almost surely will see double digit minutes. Still, those are a pair of frosh and defense is often the hardest thing to get right for them. Sure seems like Hill would have gotten some good minutes, especially early in the season.

Some speculation on a couple of things that are floating around out there right now. They supposedly have been looking at a possible transfer. Maybe there is a guard that the Badgers are considering. Also, supposedly Hill applied to grad school at UW. If he didn't get in, it's possible he's really just looking for a school where he can continue working on his graduate degree.

The way this is being handled is excellent. It's obvious that Jordan wants to play, but even more important, wants to go on, and get a graduate degree. This is extremely important that the Badgers support student athletes who realize the value of their educational opportunities.

If Jordan leaves, it will be for a school that he feels would play him, not let him sit at the end of the bench. It would also be a school where he could seriously pursue his academic goals. He's proof that there are still student athletes out there, not just the one and done type that end up at Maryland, Louisville, NC, and Kentucky. I believe, that any player who signs a college agreement should automatically be required to stay two years, and if they leave, the school should forfeit that scholarship for the term of four years that the player would have played.

Just an opinion here.

Back