Jim Leonhard on targeting

TW

Reaction score
I agree with Jim's assessment on the issue. It's a tough one, but they do have to err on the side of safety, when it comes to defenseless players. The days of "ringing a guy's bell" with a head slap was sent packing long ago, and it was nearly as bad as targeting. I wonder how many of those players with dementia, and other brain damage, were a result of that ploy by defensive linemen. Some actually used it as a major weapon, stunning offensive linemen.

Targeting, like it or not, has been done to insure we don't see a lot of Darryl Stingley hits, and results. To those that don't remember, he was hit by Jack Tatum, ended up paralyzed for life, and died at a young age from residual results from the injury. You just can't allow that to happen on a football field, period!!!!

Leonhard is a level headed coach, and he was as honest about the issue as I've heard from anyone. I hope everyone understands what he said, and remembers what happened to Stingley. If you don't know, pull the hit up on the internet, and you'll see what targeting is all about.

Leonhard on Targeting

Back