Is this McCarthy's Last Year?

I'm going to throw something else into the mix. Let's look at the Patriots, and what's happened there. With Brady suspended, they went to Garoppolo. He's played quite well. In fact he had a huge QB rating in the game Sunday. When he got hurt, Brissett came in and had a QB rating over 100.0 as well. Both were better by far than what we've seen out of Rodgers for 14 consecutive games, and neither of these guys are considered capable of being a #1 at this point.

Why do you think this happened? What made these guys that good? The fact is, the reason they played that well is because of the game plan. Belichek knows how to gear his game plan, and back up plans based on the personnel he has available to make things work. They also have a secondary plan, just in case the defense figured out what they would be doing, and how. They do not go into a game with the mindset that what they do week after week will work as long as players "execute." They know that you don't win every match up. The days of Lombardi's method of playing the game is in the past. You need to be flexible.

Now, let's figure out what we have here. Is McCarthy the reason Rodgers is successful, or is it Rodgers who has made McCarthy successful? You can say they complement each other but that don't work. After watching years of Rodgers under center, I have weighed several things that dealt with his success. Very little of it really goes back to McCarthy, despite so many people around the game saying McCarthy is a great QB coach. I personally think that's hog wash. I think he's a solid QB coach, but in all honesty, I think they miss Philbin. Clements is a super QB coach, but in all honesty, I think Philbin knew how to harness the energy and ability of his offenses. He tweaked, and modified the McCarthy plan in ways that disguised routes, showed personnel packages and formations to defenses that confused them to the point that guys broke open in routes at all levels. Without Philbin, we've slowly sunk into a predictable offense. Because I believe these things, I think that McCarthy's success will always be dictated by who works with him, and who is calling the shots behind the scenes. Philbin knew how to set up the offense where Rodgers could change plays at the line of scrimmage, and always knew he had the right personnel on the field. Sadly, I believe that's gone.

Not knocking Clements. He worked with Rodgers and Flynn, put Flynn in a position where he had the record setting game against the Lions. That says something about how he can fit guys into a workable game plan.

No Abbrederis? No Montgomery? Did I miss something? Mindset. McCarthy decided he would "make it work" with the guys he had out there, and guess what? He was wrong. It didn't work! Rodgers had arguably the worst game in his career.

McCarthy's response? "It's football." Kind of reminds me of Dennis Green's; "They were who we thought they were!"

No Abbrederis? No Montgomery? Did I miss something?

did you see the snap counts for this game?
monty - 0 snaps
ripkowski - 2 snaps.
davis - 5 snaps
abby - 6 snaps

can't believe monty never even saw the field. and even though abby was out there for 6 whole snaps, i can honestly say i don't recall ever seeing him on the field for an offensive play. according to the stats, he never had a ball thrown in his direction.

adams is a major disappointment and i don't understand why we aren't at least taking a look at some of the other guys to see if they might provide more consistency as our third wide receiver.

adams is a major disappointment and i don't understand why we aren't at least taking a look at some of the other guys to see if they might provide more consistency as our third wide receiver.
Why is Adams such a disappointment? He is the #3 receiver and was responsible for some of the biggest plays. He was interfered with 2 times for 68 yards. He was open both times and would have or at least should have made both plays. He caught three of the other 5 targets. I think he is playing better than last year.

Why is Adams such a disappointment? He is the #3 receiver and was responsible for some of the biggest plays. He was interfered with 2 times for 68 yards. He was open both times and would have or at least should have made both plays. He caught three of the other 5 targets. I think he is playing better than last year.

I wish we could get a hold of the game film so we could really look at it in depth. Hard to tell by what the TV shows us. rpiotr01 had a nice clip in another thread and although it's only one play, I'm starting to think that maybe the WR's are getting open and AR is just not hitting them.

i disagree. and on the longest gain of the day - when adams was interfered with - adams was still wide open in the endzone, and the ball hit him in the hands, and once again he could not make the catch. yes, we got the big gain. and yes - eventually we scored. but that should have been a touchdown catch plain and simple.i still believe that he drops an unacceptable number of passes, and i am shocked that rodgers still trusts him. just out of curiosity, i'd like to see someone go back and look at all of aaron rodgers' interceptions over the past year and figure out what percentage of them came on passes intended for adams.

i disagree. and on the longest gain of the day - when adams was interfered with - adams was still wide open in the endzone, and the ball hit him in the hands, and once again he could not make the catch. yes, we got the big gain. and yes - eventually we scored. but that should have been a touchdown catch plain and simple.i still believe that he drops an unacceptable number of passes, and i am shocked that rodgers still trusts him. just out of curiosity, i'd like to see someone go back and look at all of aaron rodgers' interceptions over the past year and figure out what percentage of them came on passes intended for adams.

It would have been nice if he caught it but that is a little unreasonable to expect a guy that got mugged like he did to be able to still make the catch. Adams has not had a recordable drop this season. He made an incredible catch on the ball in the endzone last week. Not sure what you want out of the guy but so far he is at least an average #3.

It would have been nice if he caught it but that is a little unreasonable to expect a guy that got mugged like he did to be able to still make the catch. Adams has not had a recordable drop this season. He made an incredible catch on the ball in the endzone last week. Not sure what you want out of the guy but so far he is at least an average #3.

I know for myself, a lot of the frustration stems from expectations and hype. Plenty of times throughout last season and the offseason we hear how talented Adams is and how much AR has confidence in him. Once Jordy went out I thought they, MM and Co., focused more of the game plan towards him because of this confidence. So here we have AR and coaching staff boasting about this young man like he's a 1 or a 2 WR yet in the 3 he's not making as many plays as some would like. It's probably an unfair assessment but I know that's pretty much where my frustration originates.

Reactions: TW
I know for myself, a lot of the frustration stems from expectations and hype. Plenty of times throughout last season and the offseason we hear how talented Adams is and how much AR has confidence in him. Once Jordy went out I thought they, MM and Co., focused more of the game plan towards him because of this confidence. So here we have AR and coaching staff boasting about this young man like he's a 1 or a 2 WR yet in the 3 he's not making as many plays as some would like. It's probably an unfair assessment but I know that's pretty much where my frustration originates.
Well lower your expectations and enjoy what he brings. ;) ggg( I'm 100 times more disappointed in Montgomery. He is the one everyone hyped and he can't even get on the field.

Well lower your expectations and enjoy what he brings. ;) ggg( I'm 100 times more disappointed in Montgomery. He is the one everyone hyped and he can't even get on the field.

I hear you. Right now I'm thinking 90% of my frustrations are born out of the fact that we've been able to enjoy a long, long, run of success under 2 great QB's and now my expectations are set unrealistically high. I'm gonna just try and enjoy the season as best I can and realize that you never know what each year will bring. Don't hold me too it though because I'll be in here griping about the Lions game before you know it. :)

What bothers me is that we are focusing on Adams who is the #3, but really aren't getting much production from our #2 Cobb. (or all that much from our #1 right now though I realize he's not 100%).

To me Adams is what he is. A guy with OK hands, OK speed and athleticism, and OK route running. I don't see anything real special about him. A fine guy to have as your #3 or #4, but we should have more production from the top-2. That doesn't even mention the middling production we are getting from our TEs despite going out and getting an above average TE in free agency.

I still come back at times to this mindset that MM and AR seem to share about big plays or explosive plays. AR, I believe, fails to at times take what is there under the misguided assumption that he and his legs will extend a play and turn it into a big play. Start hitting guys on slants, quick outs, screens, etc., when you are not under duress and eventually the explosive play will present itself. Stop trying to force the issue. Yes, it means you'll have to play more of a "small ball" type football to borrow a baseball term, but right now you don't have home run hitters.

It was what bothered me about the failed 4th down. I didn't like the 4th and 2 call with Starks, but even more, I hated the foolish 3rd and 2 play before it with a prayer thrown towards the end-zone in an effort to make a big play. That play should have had multiple short options to convert 3rd down and then shoot for the endzone. Instead we risk the whole drive on one misguided pass. Poor philosophy, game-plan and execution IMO.

And yes, I think this should be MM's last year no matter how it finishes. This team needs some new ideas. At this point I am also OK with TT leaving as well. Start clean. You still have some time with a potential "all-time great" type QB. Lets see if a new group can bring him back to what he was. If not, then you have an answer and need to begin to plan for a transition at the position.

Back