Is Ted Thompson playing with cap room?

TW

Reaction score
We have all the conspiracy theories out there on the table. But let's look at a few facts, surrounding recent moves made by Thompson, in regards to players.

For openers, what happened with the cap, with the cuts they made? With Masthay and Sitton out of the picture for this year, there's $7.3 million more cap room. Based on what we already had, we now have $16.7 million total for extensions, or additional salaries next year.

With all the contracts coming due, this is an enormous amount of money added to the pot, to keep guys in-house, that we probably would have lost anyhow. It also creates interesting scenarios for today as well.

Let's take Tretter as an example. Chances are, he's going to get over $5 mill a year guaranteed, by several teams, over the course of a 4 year contract. The Packers can handle that, without batting an eye. They can rewrite this year's contract, and add three more to the mix, and not even damage the cap. They can do the same thing with Bakhtiari, and one or two more people, simply because they have the wriggle room to do it.

The more I think about what's happened, the more I see of what Thompson did when he first came on board. I believe sabermetrics came into play on this issue as much as anything else. The ROI on Sitton and Masthay wasn't good enough to keep them.

Just another theory as to how we got where we are today.

Bahktiari is #'s 1, 2 and 3 on their list. It is known. I wouldn't be surprised to see him done before Halloween.

As good a theory as any. The only thing that still makes me think there was more to this than just money is that once Masthay was gone we were already $10mil under the CAP. They had already told Lang they weren't doing a deal with him until after the season. I can't imagine they re-do Lacy until they get the whole season to watch him. Hyde is not a priority with as many DBs as they have right now. That basically left BahkT and Tretter as the guys you might work with during the season to get a deal done. $10mil was enough to get that done I think.

The rest was going to work itself out after the season. While it was possible to re-sign both Lang and Sitton it seemed more likely that at least one would be allowed to walk, freeing up $6mil. Combine that with Peppers $9mil and you were going to have close to $20mil in CAP space without a rollover and even more with it. Plenty of CAP to get the important deals done.

While it's certainly possible TT decided to move on for financial reasons just because he felt he could get the same performance for less money, I still get the gut feeling that there is something more to the story.

Taylor allowed more pressures in the pre-season than Sitton allowed all of last year. If Ted is, indeed, playing around to gain more cap space, it's a huge gamble that could really backfire in an ugly way. We'll see. I'm hoping against hope Taylor will 'get it' quickly. We can't afford to lose AR to any injuries or the season is over. Dumb to gamble with the guys protecting Aaron, imo.

Have to wonder whether, if it indeed involves the cap, TT is again trying to be the smartest guy in the room, as we often visualize during the draft when he either picks someone we've never heard of or picks somebody way above the expected level. A lot of those work out, but I sometimes think he'd rather screw up twice and hit once, just to be the guy thinking outside the box. Obviously, another theory that will never be proven/disproved, maybe even something TT doesn't feel, but it just popped up.

Taylor allowed more pressures in the pre-season than Sitton allowed all of last year. If Ted is, indeed, playing around to gain more cap space, it's a huge gamble that could really backfire in an ugly way. We'll see. I'm hoping against hope Taylor will 'get it' quickly. We can't afford to lose AR to any injuries or the season is over. Dumb to gamble with the guys protecting Aaron, imo.

If you want to see what life will be like with Taylor, go watch some games from 2012 with Jeff Saturday. At times will be OK, other times Aaron will have to bail out of the pocket early.

If you want to see what life will be like with Taylor, go watch some games from 2012 with Jeff Saturday. At times will be OK, other times Aaron will have to bail out of the pocket early.
I just hope he doesn't get hurt. If Aaron goes down, so does the Packers shot at a Super Bowl.

I would hope Taylor will be better than Saturday was! nailbite)

I know guys using walkers to get to their car that could do a better job in this offense than Saturday did.

Back