Is It Time For Ted Thompson To Focus On Offense In The 2016 Draft?

I think dline is huge need. Raji gone, Giuon is meh, Jones is very average, Pennel verdict is still out.
ILB we all know is a need as well as OLB.
Our defense was better last year but it wasn't consistent and still isn't a championship defense. Draft D heavy.
Offense is T and TE and maybe RB.
Special Teams is Punter in later rounds

I think dline is huge need. Raji gone, Giuon is meh, Jones is very average, Pennel verdict is still out.
ILB we all know is a need as well as OLB.
Our defense was better last year but it wasn't consistent and still isn't a championship defense. Draft D heavy.
Offense is T and TE and maybe RB.
Special Teams is Punter in later rounds
I think we need at two OL picks. One OT and one OG - gotta be prepared 'cause we likely can't keep all our 2017 UFAs, unless Sitton and Lang take a discount (yeah, sure). TE is mos def a need. We have our top 2 RBs, maybe it could wait until 2017 draft (get 'em young, play 'em young, they wear out quick).

A 3-down ILB sure would help, and that's been discussed ad nauseam. Edge rusher is a need for both depth this year, and for starter 2017 and beyond. Good pass rush combined with a young and talented secondary spells turnovers and good times.

The one position that worries me is 3-down NT/DT.

The reason is that we play a ton of nickel, often all three downs. There are usually only 2 true DL on the field, and both of them better be able to play the run and the pass. One of them is the awesome Daniels, perfect in penetrating 3-tech role.

But the other, more NT -like 0- or 1-tech, spot is open. That guy won't get a lot of sacks, but can ideally hold vs double team AND is able to push the pocket some. When Raji was at his best (too seldom), he was that guy. Pure NTs like "Snacks" Harrison or "Pot Roast" Knighton only operate in a phone booth, so they're poor fits -> If one guy is 2-3 yards behind the pass rush, there's a lane for QBs to step up or escape (think long-in-tooth Pickett).

Guion was more of a pure run stuffer last season, but used to be able to rush some in Minny. Pennel may be able to do both if he keeps his arrow going up and the joint off his lips. No idea what Boyd is nowadays.

There's a reason all draft gurus on FF go gaga over Andrew Billings. He has NT size and the raw talent to be a 3-down guy in the role I described above. Kenny Clark is another one with that potential. Dunno about later round picks.

Back