How the hell does Capers still have a job?

I know we are all frustrated because of the state of the defense but how often do NFL coaches get canned after their team plays in the conference championship game? The only time a coach on a winning team is fired is when they have issues with their GM and/or owner like Jim Harbaugh did. I truly believe the main culprit for our mess on D should be laid at the feet of Mr. Thompson. Draft and develop isn't a bad strategy but shunning every avenue to improve your roster is concerning.
Have always liked your posts, but I would beg to differ this time. I think the talent has been provided, but no one develops.
1st rounders: Dix, Randall, Perry, D. Jones, CMIII, Clark (Peppers FA and Raji QUIT)
2nd rounder: Rollins
3rd rounders: Burnett, Fackrell
4th rounders: Daniels, Ryan, Martinez, Lowry

Capers combined with our crack training staff cannot keep people on the field who can comprehend and excecute his cerebral defense. One or two injuries and it turns into a Chinese fire drill! Too much thinking and not enough hitting. The last couple years seem like draft picks come in, flash a little talent and then regress. Our leadership waves the injury flag and no one is held responsible. This year should have been the last straw. We were HISTORICALLY bad! But NOTHING happened, no one lost their job. Sometimes we don't even compete on the field. We've all watched it. There are a couple teams in the Big Ten that have better defense than the Pack, well maybe not, but they play harder and with enthusiasm!

Dubz, a lot of those high defensive draft picks are still pretty young - especially in the secondary and LB. Of the ones you listed Dix, Burnett, Perry, Jones, Clay and Daniels are the only ones with at least 3 years of NFL experience and who knows if we'll keep Jones and/or Perry. I agree, a lot of these other kids are probably overwhelmed with Capers' scheme and thus Dom should have adjusted his defense to match his personnel. I wouldn't have minded it in the least had Dom "retired" and we went in another direction. But if we think about it is it all just Capers? Shouldn't the other defensive position coaches also be under scrutiny? I suppose once things began to go south there wasn't much we could have done to improve things short of making a trade. I'm sure there was no one out on the street any better than what we had to work with, especially in the secondary. I think our guys play hard but if you don't have a lot of speed and/or experience with young players not sure of what they are doing you're gonna see dreadful play defensively like we did this past season. I place the blame for all of this on Ted and this coaching staff. I guess things have to get better in 2017 because they couldn't get much worse! sh))

Unfortunately Pugger, they can get worse.
AR likely will not play out if his mind again. If that happens we will be a 9-7 maybe a 8-8 team and either sqeak into the playoffs or not get it in. It will be the same as this year and 7 out of the last 8 years.
Until TT retires and we change this Defense as well as coaching staff, nothing will change.

Unfortunately Pugger, they can get worse.
AR likely will not play out if his mind again. If that happens we will be a 9-7 maybe a 8-8 team and either sqeak into the playoffs or not get it in. It will be the same as this year and 7 out of the last 8 years.
Until TT retires and we change this Defense as well as coaching staff, nothing will change.

If what you say is correct we won't see a NFCC game in a long while. I guess after the 2018 season is when Ted and McCoach's contracts expire. Rodgers contract is also up after the 2018 season. Don't be surprised if he retires then. How incredibly sad it will be to see it all go down in flames this coming season. :(

The ironic problem is that with TTs philosophy we will stay young, no seasoned FA vets. Caper's 'intelligent' scheme takes experienced players to execute it. Most of TTs defensive picks have fizzled after flashing some potential early on. That seems to me that there IS some talent there, but it is never nurtured and development always seems to regress.

My biggest complaint though: there is NO toughness displayed on the field. You watch the Seahags, Steelers, Ravens and recently the Falcons defend every single yard! You can play soft and let WRs catch the ball IF you whack them after the catch! You see these defenses do it all the time. WE DON'T HIT. That's an attitude the comes from the top down. The top of the defense is Capers, it is his attitude that permeates the defense- SOFT.

It also doesn't help that despite having Matthews, Peppers, and Perry, we cannot pressure the QB more than one time a game. And we never seem to be able to get home on a blitz. Sure, you could say that it's because of Caper's blitz schemes, but I've seen one too many free blitzers that just completely whiffed on open lanes to the QB to believe that.
Great post. This was the only part I disagreed with. The Packers did a nice job of getting to the QB. 6th in the league in sacks with 40. In my opinion, the problem wasn't the rush as much as the fact that the QB could get rid of the ball quickly to wide open receivers. How many times did you hear the Packers got a "coverage sack"? Didn't happen.

I don't think I've heard the term, "coverage sack" in Capers entire tenure now that you mention it.

Shouldn't the other defensive position coaches also be under scrutiny? sh))

I think that's my biggest beef. Doesn't Capers realize that the players are not ready to play? I was not shocked to see Capers retained. But it's hard to believe that DC and MM are not looking at some of the assistants.

Here is what Ha-Ha Clinton Dix had to say on Instagram about Shields getting released,

Thank you for lining up and playing whatever Dom capers called rather WE liked it or not you was all in.

Sure sounds like the players aren't exactly fond of him either.

Last edited:
Here is what Ha-Ha Clinton Dix had to say on Instagram about Shields getting released,

Sure sounds like the players aren't exactly found of him either.

Wow....interesting indeed.

Back