Here's why it's highly unlikely Badgers, other NCAA athletes will cash in quickly on Supreme Court's ruling

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
The Supreme Court's unanimous decision Monday that the NCAA can't limit education-related compensation might not have colleges immediately rushing to put computers and paid internships in players' hands.

Continue reading...

I can see some real manipulation coming. Computers. I don't see them handed computers. I see schools renting computers for them. That would meet the criteria I believe. So, let's assume they do get residuals from their names and likeness. I can see it as being a equally divided amount among all players in all sports, if actually on the team. It would cut out a lot of the walk-ons, I'd guess, unless they were added. Then there's the question of in perpetuity. Is it a lifetime question, or limited duration? ASCAP, and SAG money might be the example of how they handle it. Obviously it's impossible to keep track of all of it.

This is going to be a nightmare. Before it's over, we'll be seeing kids at Alabama running around in a Ferrari, if they already aren't.

I can see some real manipulation coming. Computers. I don't see them handed computers. I see schools renting computers for them. That would meet the criteria I believe. So, let's assume they do get residuals from their names and likeness. I can see it as being a equally divided amount among all players in all sports, if actually on the team. It would cut out a lot of the walk-ons, I'd guess, unless they were added. Then there's the question of in perpetuity. Is it a lifetime question, or limited duration? ASCAP, and SAG money might be the example of how they handle it. Obviously it's impossible to keep track of all of it.

This is going to be a nightmare. Before it's over, we'll be seeing kids at Alabama running around in a Ferrari, if they already aren't.
I think you will see most kids lucky if they are getting a few hundred to sponser the local business in town. Will be few who get big money paid to them and that will be more likely hey here is a sponsership deal if you choose to come here. aka bribe to get them to pick that school.

Personally I think it’s being a bit overblown. The state laws are in no way uniform. That’s the real issue

I think you will see most kids lucky if they are getting a few hundred to sponser the local business in town. Will be few who get big money paid to them and that will be more likely hey here is a sponsership deal if you choose to come here. aka bribe to get them to pick that school.
Some kids already have deals. And with some state restrictions and the way bills were drafted it’s not uniform. Most schools have hired firms to help educate kids on NIL and that’s a positive step. But there are issues

Some kids already have deals. And with some state restrictions and the way bills were drafted it’s not uniform. Most schools have hired firms to help educate kids on NIL and that’s a positive step. But there are issues
Still I don't think many kids are going to be cashing in big on this.

Actually, I think it could become a nightmare. Schools that have deep pocket alumni can put deals on the table for a lot of kids to rake in extra money. I think they have to make it a uniform program that will fall within the criteria of all states, or this is going to end up being a killer for over half the programs. They won't be competitive at any level.

Actually, I think it could become a nightmare. Schools that have deep pocket alumni can put deals on the table for a lot of kids to rake in extra money. I think they have to make it a uniform program that will fall within the criteria of all states, or this is going to end up being a killer for over half the programs. They won't be competitive at any level.
The only way to make it uniform is if the NCAA passes legislation and then here comes the lawyers. Will state law become the standard? The laws are so different. It’s a mess

Back