Green Bay's greatest position weakness is ?

I don't like setting needs in stone before we see who re-signs and who doesn't.

Say we don't get Perry or Neal back, then backup OLB becomes almost as big a need as backup OT (we have Elliott and then nuthin'). And if Pep retires on top of that, it becomes no. 1 need. If Raji leaves, we lack a nickel DT/NT who can hold up against a double team vs the run AND push the pocket (Pennel and Guion don't inspire great confidence) - and those guys are very rare, almost all come from 1st round. If Crosby wants to kick in warmer climate or dome, K becomes a need (doubt he leaves).

Also, to understand how we draft and operate, you have to look at both immediate needs and longer term needs. TT does draft for immediate need sometimes, but he wisely also has a longer perspective. OLB is a premium position and we'll need a long term solution at pass rusher. OL needs several picks unless we are willing to pay a "#¤%load to keep our guards and Bak. It's very rare rookies excel there. DL could become very thin fast.

For me, combining short- and long term needs:

1) ILB - I think Ryan or Barrington can man one spot, need a solution for the other.
2) OLB - We'll need a pass rusher in 2017 at the latest, wouldn't hurt if he could spell Pep right away.
3) OT - We need to draft several OL now, both as backups and to potentially replace 2017 departures.
4) NT/DT - It's rare to find a 3-down DT late in 1st round or for <10M avg in UFA - athletic heavies are endangered species. It's a deep class, so if one falls...
5) TE - DickRod isn't a special talent, and if he went down, we'd have...Backman and Henry?

As salmar says, things could change in the weeks to come, but as of right now:

ILB - assuming they are serious about moving CM3, this group offers almost nothing. I'd actually like to see one drafted in the first 3 rounds and a FA addition to boot.
OT - just OL in general, but really, the big problem is that there isn't a competent back-up tackle in the bunch, though I suppose you could argue that Tretter is "okay". They need to take one early - first 3 rounds. I only put it this high because of the injury situation with Bulaga who can't seem to get through a season without missing multiple games.
TE - might we worse than OT, but I just don't see it as being quite as important. I really hope with the TEs that have been cut that TT will sign one as well as drafting one.
DT - mostly because Raji is a FA and Pennell will miss 4 games. I know this group has some lazy to it, but every DL seems to have this. Hard for the bigs to go "all out" on every play, especially with the way teams go hurry up and won't allow you to sub.

RB position needs a guy, OLB needs help long term but should be OK with CM3 and JP for this year.

The Packers ILB play was so bad that they moved their best OLB to that position. While Clay did a fair job in the middle he was average at best. I would love to see the Packers get 2 ILBs this offseason. One in FA and one in the draft. Trevathan (FA) and Rangland (1st round).

After that a stud TE, OL depth, and a strong 3-4 OLB are in order. Even if Peppers comes back and Clay moves back outside OLB is not deep or strong.

If TT nails all those needs I can see the Pack being a top 5 defense and offense next year.

Don't know why everyone is so concerned with TE. We have not had a good TE in years and there is no elite TE in this draft. I think it's better to look at FA for a TE then the draft as FA has more quality there. IMO Henry is good but not a elite TE. I don't even draft a TE in this draft it's so poor. Focus on LB, OL, and DL.

Don't know why everyone is so concerned with TE. We have not had a good TE in years and there is no elite TE in this draft. I think it's better to look at FA for a TE then the draft as FA has more quality there. IMO Henry is good but not a elite TE. I don't even draft a TE in this draft it's so poor. Focus on LB, OL, and DL.

Because we are tired of watching R. Rodgers go into the flat for a 1 yard reception and get tackled immediately. We would like to see a TE that can stretch the field a little and catch a ball in the seam. The position lacks speed.

And there is no elite TE in free agency either. I would be very dissatisfied if Hooper is there in the 3rd and we pass

A weakness is a weakness.... makes for good debate
It sure makes for a debate. Good? Dunno.

Needs discussion is in the realm of fantasy because of three things:

1) Injuries - Who thought WR would be a need last off-season? NOBODY! It was as good, young, expensive and deep as you can build....before reality. TyMont was a "luxury pick because we had no need at the position". It would be great to fill a roster like in Madden, then choose "no injuries" in options. Could save a lot dismissing all team docs. Can we leave our pass rush OLB situation hanging on hopes neither Clay or Pep gets injured at all?
2) Development of players, positive and negative - We have very little idea of how the staff views players' potential, even if they've only played little. A season or three of NFL training regime and film room can do things to guys like Ryan, Thornton, Bradford, Goodson, etc. Or not. Shields was fast but otherwise crap early on. We as fans have no intel on the less utilized players, so we usually totally disregard them. We don't get any medical info, which is key to older guys.
3) Teams can not operate on one-year-at-a-time schedule without GREAT risk - We could mos def fill all our needs and more THIS YEAR by finagling contracts and going all-in in UFA and draft. It doesn't guarantee a SB, only makes it more likely. But if we do all that, it's guaranteed we'll lose two Pro Bowl -level guards, our left tackle, and a rather young pass-rushing DE/OLB in Datone. We also can't sign any more of our own this year. And one injury to Arod, and all that investment plus the rest of his prime goes down the cap toilet.

It would be GREAT to have a roster of awesome starters and solid backups at all positions. That just doesn't happen in free agency era, unless you somehow have a couple of insane drafts in a row.

Since TT rarely participates in FA I'm not expecting anything from that.

On defense obviously ILB and a pass rusher.

I agree that the backup OL was terrible with the exception of Tretter. For whatever reason the scouts who recommend OT & G don't seem to have a good eye for that. TT gets the recommendations from them, right? I think TT lucked out or finally got smart when he drafted Linsley. But aside from Bulaga he really hasn't gotten anyone who could help in quite a while. Maybe the guys on the PS will show improvement.

I think we need a TE but like others have said I'm not sure that we need to spend I really high pick on one.

TT is pretty good about picking WR so I think we can wait until the 3rd or 4th round depending on what's available.

Back