Green Bay Packers 2016 Free Agents List: Raji, Perry, Hayward are the big names

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
GettyImages-457506244.0.jpg

Here is the list of players from Green Bay who will be hitting the market this Spring.

The Green Bay Packers got the biggest fish in their impending free agent class back for the long term a few weeks ago when they signed defensive lineman Mike Daniels to a four-year contract extension. Daniels' deal, which is worth an average of just over $10 million per year, will keep him in Green Bay through the 2019 season.

That signing, however, leaves the team with a remaining total of eighteen players who will hit free agency in some way, shape, or form following the 2015 season. Here's the list, as well as a primer on each type of free agency in effect.

Unrestricted Free Agents

These players are eligible for unrestricted free agency because they will have accrued four or more years of NFL experience after 2015. These players may sign with any NFL team starting on March 15th at 4:00 PM Eastern.

OT Don Barclay
K Mason Crosby
LS Brett Goode (currently on IR)
DT Letroy Guion
CB Casey Hayward
WR James Jones
FB John Kuhn
OLB Mike Neal
OLB Nick Perry (declined 5th-year option)
TE Andrew Quarless
NT B.J. Raji
S Sean Richardson (currently on IR)
RB James Starks
QB Scott Tolzien

Restricted Free Agents

The Packers may extend "tender" offers to their restricted free agents - players who will have three accrued seasons of experience and whose contracts are expiring. If they extend a tender, the Packers will have the right to match any contract offer made to a player, and depending on the amount of the tender they may be eligible for a draft pick (either first- or second-round) if the player signs elsewhere and the Packers decline to match. Neither player is likely to receive a tender, however.

OLB Andy Mulumba
G Lane Taylor

Exclusive-Rights Free Agents

These players have two or fewer accrued years of experience. If the Packers extend either of these players a qualifying offer (which would likely be a league-minimum contract), they may not negotiate with any other NFL team during free agency.

S Chris Banjo
TE Justin Perillo

Note: this is Banjo's third year with the Packers, but he did not qualify for an accrued season in 2014 because he was on the practice squad for much of the year and did not spend enough time on the 53-man roster.

Continue reading @http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/ ...

not a lot of names on that list I think are worth spending much $$ on to keep. Besides Barclay and Starks, maybe Hayward not sure I'd resign any of them..

CD- I wouldn't even sign those guys (unless the $$ is right) Nobody on the list is worth what they made this year,IMO. I'd sign Crosby and Goode. Barclay is the barometer for the OL. If he his on the team again next year = No improvement.

"By contrast, Bakhtiari's replacement, Barclay, struggled mightily against Dwight Freeney and the Cardinals pass rush last Sunday. Pro Football Focus credited him with four sacks and four hurries allowed, and according to their stats he has given up the second-most sacks of any offensive lineman this season, despite starting just five games."
-Da News Now

What an uninspiring list of players! Even Hayward, he looks to be 4th CB. What is that worth?

Last edited:
Here's how I see them. It's a large number of guys, and you have to sign some of them or risk having too many "kids" in the 2-deep.

OT Don Barclay - worth a minimum deal to come to camp, but I hope they have better guys so he gets cut after camp
K Mason Crosby - pay him like a top-10 kicker
LS Brett Goode - another minimum guy
DT Letroy Guion - don't really want him, but if he takes minimum, bring him back for camp
CB Casey Hayward - is still worth signing as the nickel/dime guy but you can't really "pay" him so he's probably gone
WR James Jones - nope
FB John Kuhn - sure, give him the same contract he's got now if he doesn't retire
OLB Mike Neal - you can probably get him pretty cheap. Would like to keep one of Neal or Perry.
OLB Nick Perry - see Neal above.
TE Andrew Quarless - sure, bring him back at minimum
NT B.J. Raji - worth paying. Maybe something in the $3-4mil territory.
S Sean Richardson (currently on IR) - nope
RB James Starks - hard to say what to do. When he doesn't put it on the ground he's pretty valuable off the bench.
QB Scott Tolzien - he's probably gone. If he wants to stay for about $1mil, fine.

I know there isn't a ton of talent there, but I don't want to just blow off 14 guys and replace them with UDFAs and rookies. Need to see about half of these guys re-signed.

Here's how I see them. It's a large number of guys, and you have to sign some of them or risk having too many "kids" in the 2-deep.

OT Don Barclay - worth a minimum deal to come to camp, but I hope they have better guys so he gets cut after camp
K Mason Crosby - pay him like a top-10 kicker
LS Brett Goode - another minimum guy
DT Letroy Guion - don't really want him, but if he takes minimum, bring him back for camp
CB Casey Hayward - is still worth signing as the nickel/dime guy but you can't really "pay" him so he's probably gone
WR James Jones - nope
FB John Kuhn - sure, give him the same contract he's got now if he doesn't retire
OLB Mike Neal - you can probably get him pretty cheap. Would like to keep one of Neal or Perry.
OLB Nick Perry - see Neal above.
TE Andrew Quarless - sure, bring him back at minimum
NT B.J. Raji - worth paying. Maybe something in the $3-4mil territory.
S Sean Richardson (currently on IR) - nope
RB James Starks - hard to say what to do. When he doesn't put it on the ground he's pretty valuable off the bench.
QB Scott Tolzien - he's probably gone. If he wants to stay for about $1mil, fine.

I know there isn't a ton of talent there, but I don't want to just blow off 14 guys and replace them with UDFAs and rookies. Need to see about half of these guys re-signed.

Your last line made me cry, but you're right. Half of these guys need to be back for continuity. Better be on defense, they didn't play terrible this year. I like the Neal/Perry scenario, would extend that to Raji/Guion. Only one of the two.

I bring back the following guys. None will be huge money....some raises tho. All guys who are experienced and are worth keeping. If any get beat out in camp, then they do and can move on. Same for if any want huge salaries that are way above their value.

K Mason Crosby
LS Brett Goode (currently on IR)
DT Letroy Guion
CB Casey Hayward
FB John Kuhn
OLB Nick Perry
TE Andrew Quarless
NT B.J. Raji
QB Scott Tolzien

CD- I wouldn't even sign those guys (unless the $$ is right) Nobody on the list is worth what they made this year,IMO. I'd sign Crosby and Goode. Barclay is the barometer for the OL. If he his on the team again next year = No improvement.

"By contrast, Bakhtiari's replacement, Barclay, struggled mightily against Dwight Freeney and the Cardinals pass rush last Sunday. Pro Football Focus credited him with four sacks and four hurries allowed, and according to their stats he has given up the second-most sacks of any offensive lineman this season, despite starting just five games."
-Da News Now

What an uninspiring list of players! Even Hayward, he looks to be 4th CB. What is that worth?
Yup.. speaks to issues with the front office and talent eval.. Also another indication of why depth is so bad..

Back
Crosby
Tolzein (within reason)
Raji

Other than him everyone else is a team friendly deal or let them test market

Yup.. speaks to issues with the front office and talent eval.. Also another indication of why depth is so bad..

Huh?? I don't think this teams depth is that bad. Look around the league and tell me how deep teams are. We have our warts but our 53 is not bad.

I don't think its a bad thing we don't have major guys contracts up every year. Daniels has already been signed. That is huge not letting him hit the market. Hayward will get starter money somewhere. He is best in the slot but look what House got!

Raji had a solid year and I wouldn't want to lose him. Stats don't tell much about NT play. He was a force at times. Bring him back. He wont break the bank.

Perry/Neal I think you have to keep one. If Perry wasn't made of glass his numbers would be starter esk. Neal has been the ideal packer. He changed his body and positions many times for this team. Neither would cost a ton and adds to depth.

I don't want to pay a kicker 4 mil but I also don't want to start over with a team that is in the mix next season. This is a tough one here. I hope he wants to stick around.

Jones
Kuhn
the rest... There replacements are already here I think Rip will fill in just fine for Kuhn

Back