Future DC Thread

So I am just going to put this out here, if it ticks some folks off so be it but it needs to be said. I am not sure everyone fully understands the DC job strategically. The "it needs to be innovative " junk is kind of well junk.

As a DC I am playing chess with the guy across the field calling the offensive plays, even IF you are an aggressive defense it's still from a reactive position per se. The real work is leading up to each game, looking at tendencies, what they do by formation, etc. If they use motion to check coverage we would install a silent switch so that the QB wouldn't have an easy get-on man or zone looks.... your fronts need to match coverage...I could go on and on.

Here's the point, the best DC are generally not the "new " guys with new ideas( that cracks me up) or the old tried and true ones either. The very best staff and coordinators work hard week after week on the details going into a game, their preparation is exceptional and their work ethic is off the charts. If you add that with solid leadership qualities you'll generally find a great coach.

sb(tc(hof(

This is interesting Mark.

As soon as it came out that Staley was being interviewed, fans were freaking out saying absolutely not. But these fans have no idea if he would be a good fit. All they look at is his Charger season this last year.

This is interesting Mark.

As soon as it came out that Staley was being interviewed, fans were freaking out saying absolutely not. But these fans have no idea if he would be a good fit. All they look at is his Charger season this last year.
His issue is he only had 1 year of it and then went on to a HC and basically bombed. My issue with him is his system and Barry are almost the same...so if you didn't like that 2 safety high play off the WR stuff then you wouldn't like Staley either.

Issue I have with DC is that everyone in the NFL runs 2 or 3 schemes based off some other guy. NFL is really not inventive it's find one thing that worked and just make minor tweeks off that scheme

His issue is he only had 1 year of it and then went on to a HC and basically bombed. My issue with him is his system and Barry are almost the same...so if you didn't like that 2 safety high play off the WR stuff then you wouldn't like Staley either.
Was the 2 high off so bad though? I’ve seen a lot of defenses get burned putting their corners on an island one time too many.

Was the 2 high off so bad though? I’ve seen a lot of defenses get burned putting their corners on an island one time too many.
Yes it is when you don't have the personnel to pull it off.... everyone and their uncle knew that and yet he forced the issue. It's failing all over because most OC have seen it enough to scheme around the coverage and fronts to where it's just not that hard to overcome.

Back