ESPN On Packers "Something is amiss here."

I'm normally not one to shoot the messenger, but I have to say I closed the window as soon as Bayless' face popped up. He and Smith are not serious sports journalists, and whatever critical take they have I'm sure more well credentialed people have written it. I would rather not encourage their continued TV existence by giving them the page views. tc(

Not gonna share Smith's opinion about post season. But they both make very valid points there... What they leave out is that nobody looks like a championship team right now. But that doesn't take away from the fact that 3 of 9 on third down stinks...

I don't pass judgment on many, but there is a spot reserved in the Eighth Circle of the Inferno for Mr. Bayless, I'm just not sure which pocket he falls into.

dante-im18.GIF

That being said, he did have an usually cognizant point about the offense being off, but to be fair, everybody who's ever seen the packers play football the last 3 years with Aaron Rodgers as the QB is saying the same thing. The line is banged up, the offense isn't set up to get guys open, the qb isn't taking the stuff that is there.

As an aside, Skip probably lands in the 9th ring.

Last edited:
... What they leave out is that nobody looks like a championship team right now. ...

i don't know about that. this week was the first patriots game that i watched. they looked pretty darned good. if anything they look better than last season when they won the whole thing.

Yep, Pats look like they belong, and like they've been there before.

And it ain't just 3 of 9 on third down - it was (what...) 6 consecutive plays from inside the 16 before they finally settled for a field goal. That one spoke volumes to me. You want to call yourself a championship team, but you get 6 shots from the red zone and still can't find a play that will work? Y'all got some work to do, fellas, that's all I got to say.

I posted it in the post game thread but it bears repeating here. AR's stats through 6 games are almost identical to last season through 6. Big difference is this year the Pack is 6-0 and last year they were 4-2. Thank the defense for that.

The AR stats are very interesting.

I would never have assumed he was on pace for the exact same numbers as last year; especially, without Nelson and Adams for most of the year so far.

It will be interesting what happens if we ever get healthy at WR. We are averaging 27.3 points per game without healthy WR's. Not bad considering.

If we can get this figured out offensively and the defense can continue to improve then Bayless can kiss it. ;)

I can't bring myself to watch even 2 minutes of First Take. It's easily the worst sports show on TV.

But I think it's fair to ask the question, even if the team is 6-0. I think it starts with the injuries. Fortunately most of them haven't been season ending, but there's a limit to any team's depth. It's not an excuse for losing...er...winning ugly, but it is a reason. You can't take out the #1, #3, and #5WRs along with your only backup TE and not miss a beat.

We went through this in 2010. The team was built to run through Finley, who got hurt in the first game along with Ryan Grant. It took a while for the offense to forge a new identity, but eventually it did. I'm optimistic the same will happen this year. The great thing is we're banking wins this time even as we struggle a little bit, and save for last week the defense has been playing at it's highest level since that season.

Back