Dougherty: Tough roster calls loom for Packers

Ted Thompson treats the cap like it's his bonus at the end of the year. I've never seen a GM so tight with the cap. I don't know if it's him the BOD, or Murphy. Who knows, maybe he wants to spend but the Packers brass says no?

Ted might not go after players from other teams but he does like to hang onto his own.

Ok we all know Ted is going to sign his own first. Which means he will likely have around maybe 5-10 million past his cushion of 7-10 million he likes to keep to sign a FA. 5-10 million is not much which pretty much will allow him to sign 1 or 2 mid level FA's. Doing that won't really change much IMO. I think the better thing to do is look for a team that might want to move a veteran they have who is still good but blocking a young guy from playing or just on a bad team and the team wants picks to use to rebuild.

What's our cap number?
For crying out loud! We have enough money to sign Hyde, Perry, Lang, Tretter, Cook, and sign a few FA to shore up this D.
Unfortunately, TT will sit on all that and we will do nothing in FA unless they are undrafted or are low end FA that no other team wants.
There is no debate here. This team will be no different next year or the year after. Once AR regresses this team will be .500 or under.
Sorry but it is reality.

I posted this in a different thread but thought it fit here too. My numbers for Lang and Tretter are probably high but there isn't as much money available as you may think. You will not be able to sign everyone and a few FAs as well.

Lang's Market value is in the $8.5 mil/year range
Tretter is in the $8.5 mil/year range
Cook around $3.5/year
Perry around 8.5/year
Hyde has to be 3-4/year
Goode is 1mil/year
Peppers is already an UFA so letting him walk does nothing for the cap.
Shields would give us 9 million in cap space
Total cap available is about 35.5 million + Shields 9 leaves 44.5 million.
Sign Lang or Tretter, Cook, Perry, Hyde and Goode and thats 24-26 million right there. Add 6 million for the rookies and you are at 30-32 million. That doesn't really leave a lot of room for a free agent CB and the typical cap roll over. Not to mention that leaves one of Lang or Tretter walk.

"Eye" and I have gone over this in another post and he is pretty much right on, but I still suspect there will be more there in CAP room. (And I do agree that one of Lang/Tretter will walk if the money gets close to those levels for the 2 of them.) Very often teams sign those new deals with money deferred to later years so that even if Lang does sign a 3-yr $25mil deal, his initial year CAP hit will be less than the contract average. I think when all is said and done, TT will have $20mil or more to work with. You can't spend like a drunken sailor but you can sign a CB or LB to a reasonably high-level deal and make it work.

I've never advocated that he needed to sign 3-5 high level free agents, but I would think you could get one good FA and a solid role player type guy for around $12-15mil against the CAP in 2017 so you still have some roll-over. TT has some flexibility and can backload some money because chances are good that salaries like those of Cobb, CM3, Nelson and Burnett are going to be coming off the books in the next 2 years as well. That's probably another $30-40mil. Right now what young guy is performing at a high level, other than HHCD, that is going to need to get paid serious money in the next couple of years? I think they have the freedom to spend some money right now, backload some CAP onto later years, and improve the team for 2017 and still not handicap themselves long-term.

I posted this in a different thread but thought it fit here too. My numbers for Lang and Tretter are probably high but there isn't as much money available as you may think. You will not be able to sign everyone and a few FAs as well.

Lang's Market value is in the $8.5 mil/year range
Tretter is in the $8.5 mil/year range
Cook around $3.5/year
Perry around 8.5/year
Hyde has to be 3-4/year
Goode is 1mil/year
Peppers is already an UFA so letting him walk does nothing for the cap.
Shields would give us 9 million in cap space
Total cap available is about 35.5 million + Shields 9 leaves 44.5 million.
Sign Lang or Tretter, Cook, Perry, Hyde and Goode and thats 24-26 million right there. Add 6 million for the rookies and you are at 30-32 million. That doesn't really leave a lot of room for a free agent CB and the typical cap roll over. Not to mention that leaves one of Lang or Tretter walk.
Don't forget that only the top 51 salaries count as well.

Back