Do Badgers get defensive style points with College Football Playoff Committee?

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Our publisher, Andy Coppens, takes a look back at Wisconsin’s 45-17 victory over the Indiana Hoosiers. Amongst the topics of discussion is everyone’s obsession with Wisconsin’s slow starts to games. Andy also takes a look at what kind of style points seemingly matter to the College Football Playoff committee and makes a big case for defensive style points mattering. Oh, and he...

Source

Continue reading...

Wisconsin will never get style points, even if they shut their opponents out in every game. Style points come from flamboyant QBs who are part of an aerial circus, where scores often end up 52-49, decided by the last drive ending up in the game winning FG.

The Badgers are straight out of the Woody Hayes playbook, "Three yards and a cloud of dust." The only time people get off their seats is when a runner breaks a long one, or they use a "tackle eligible" plan, and end up with a pitch to him, for a TD.

To me, being able to play a disciplined game on both sides of the ball, and using what's between your ears to create a difference on the field, is what it's all about.

At Wisconsin, they turn walk-ons, and guys with only 3-stars, into competitors who can make their way against all the 4-star and 5-star players recruited for their football skills, despite their lack of classroom ability, or desire. To me, that's what it's all about. It's education first, not a proving ground to who makes it in the NFL. If you happen to be good enough, and smart enough, you earn that right.

The Badgers are rated #3 in ranking related to student/athletes, and to me, that's an amazing level to achieve for any University with sports programs as good as we have.

That's my "style points." They can keep their flamboyant BS. I like substance.

The polls once again show why they are really worthless. Wisconsin dropped 2 spots to 6 after stomping Indiana. OSU only dropped 8 spots after taking the beating of their lives. Oklahoma moves up 3 spots after surviving a game with no defense at all. They gave up 52 points. Notre Dame moves up 3 spots after giving up 37 to Wake Forest.

The Badgers will play two ranked teams in the next 2 weeks. If they win both of those and aren't in the top 3 after that there will be some splainin' to do.
Clemson lost to Syracuse, nothing more to say. Oklahoma lost to Iowa State who just lost to frickin West Virginia. Those are both bad losses. All Wisconsin does is continue to win.

They did move up to #3 in the coaches poll, I don't think Chryst has a vote, so I wonder who's in there pulling for them.

I do plan to have our poll up before the morning is over. One benefit of a rainy weekend is that I got to watch lots of college football.

Reactions: TW
Back