Deciding who will be GM

TW

Reaction score
Something to think about.

If you go outside the Packers organization for a new GM, you destroy the inner workings of the front office. It would be totally replaced. Is that what you want?

If you promote within, there are three viable candidates, you might be able to keep the other two guys by upping their responsibilities, and salaries. Is that what you want?

If you go outside the organization for a new GM, it would probably include an immediate change of the entire coaching staff. Is that what you want?

If you promote within, there's a strong chance McCarthy will stay, and individual coaches will pay the price for what's happened. Is that what you want?

Then there's the issue of hiring of replacement coaches. Would it be done by the GM, or McCarthy, if he's kept on, as head coach?

It's going to be interesting seeing what the fall out is over the next week to ten days.

If you go outside the organization for a new GM, it would probably include an immediate change of the entire coaching staff. Is that what you want?

yes. but that's probably not what will happen. they've been grooming three guys for the position, and those three guys have been waiting patiently. do you reward their loyalty by going outside? maybe if dorsey had not jumped onboard the cleveland browns trainwreck so quickly, i could see bringing him in. maybe if schneider still had an escape clause in his contract (which he does not) . . . i guess reggie mckenzie might be a possibility with the shake-up in oakland.

I want the Packers to win, and I don't particularly care how that happens.

If they go outside, they need a strong proven guy, or they shouldn't bother. You need someone with connections and a track record who can bring in his own competent people to run the show including his own coach. What I don't want is some unknown outsider without much track record who will be making huge decisions for the first time.

If it's from within, that's OK too as long as there is no long-term extension for MM. Let him coach as a lame duck for a year and give the new GM the opportunity to evaluate. If MM isn't OK with it, then - sorry, hit the road.

Give MM the job of recruiting a new DC, and give the new DC an attractive contract so he knows you are committed to him.

Right now... today this is my take on all of it.

nope-it-looks-like-bullshit-from-this-angle-too-23152800.png

If McCarthy really has a say in the hire of the new GM, nothing changes, I fear. Then again, I also have read that McCarthy was frustrated with Ted's modus operandi of not signing FA's. Who on earth knows??? The intrigue is palpable!! Shocked(

Back