Cutting the Cheese. The Stinky Truth...

Cheesedog

Reaction score
OK here we go. To this point people have looked at specific parts of the Packers to figure out why the team has looked bad for almost an entire year. This will probably be long. But here it is, the whole shebang. The big enchilada, the big cheese... From top to bottom.

BOD (including Murphy) - they're #1 priority as it should be is $$$. And $$ is fine. They don't really care about winning another SB as long as games sell out and people buy merch hand over fist. I don't want them involved in football stuff anyway. These guys are businessmen not football people.

Ted Thompson - Put on your seatbelts. Ted Thompson is past his expiration date. He's living off his rep from 6 - 10 years ago as a draft and develop guru. Well, guess what. The shine has worn off. I present the following I posted in another thread:
Packers last 5 drafts for offensive skill positions (not including QB and OL):
2012: NONE
2013: Lacy (hit on this pick), Franklin (injured/retired), Johnson (not on team), Dorsey (not on team)
2014: Adams (not developing), Richard Rogers (pedestrian), Abbey (can't get healthy), Janis (doesn't see much action)
2015: Monty (has potential), Rip (he's a FB and not very effective), Backman (not on team)
2016: Davis (has potential maybe)
See where I'm going with this? 5 drafts and ONE, just ONE player who can be viewed as anything but pedestrian or not developing (that 2014 draft class is entering their 3rd season and still play like rookies). Arod may be declining but he's not the only issue.

When you are a strict draft and develop guy you have to hit on far more picks than you miss. And TT has not hit on many on offense in the last 5 years. OL is pretty solid i'll give you that. But that only takes you so far. Defense is OK until you get to the depth which stinks. But someone who is so strict D&D needs to hit on the entire team. not just a few positions.

TT is that senior manager we've all worked for whose ideas are outdated, whose business models are outdated, is irrelevant but still thinks he's a genius. And everyone goes along with it because he has seniority. Last year it seems MM was begging for FA help and TT was nowhere to be found. TT seems to be a glorified scout with a big paycheck at this point. Like it's the only thing he cares about now. Time for him to go. There I said it.

Mike McCarthy - OK pittsburgh tough, your team is in mental meltdown, your star QB is having major problems and the answer after every loss is "we'll look at the tape and go from there" It's been a full calendar year since this team has looked like anything more than mid tier NFL team. Where is the passion? Where is the anger? Where is the "no way in hell is anyone going to come into our house and kick us in the balls again"?? Where is the "heads are gonna roll" passion? MM looks like a glorified OC who happens to get an HC paycheck. He lacks leadership right now and it shows in the team. His team is a bunch of individuals doing their jobs. Not a team coming together for a greater purpose. Many have said it that those teams under Favre and beginning of Arods career were better than the sum of its parts. heck that 2010 SB winning team was better than the sum of its parts. MM is too focused on tape and ensuring his system isn't to blame. You're the HC dammit act like it and show some leadership, some fire, some passion. Stop accepting mediocrity. How about holding your players accountable? I'm not for throwing your players under the bus. But....

At the very least what MM needs to do is sit Arod down and ask him point blank if he still has the passion for this job. Whether he's willing to sacrifice time with Munn and the Alist social life to get his fundamentals fixed. Whether he's willing to sacrifice comfort to grow and regain form. If not, then it's time for things to get messy. That's leadership.

Now throughout the last year I have gained some amount of pity for him considering what he gets from TT to work with. Which hasn't been much especially on offense. But if your team can't handle your game plan then your game plan is useless. You have to find a plan they can handle.

Assistant Coaches - Rogers, Adams, Janis, Abbey, were all draft picks in 2014. And they all still play like they're rookies. We essentially have no TE's. Cobb has regressed, and injury or not so has Jordy.

OL coach has done well. I thought this group would flop but it's been the lone offense bright spot.
DEF coaches have done a decent job. Our depth stinks but that's on TT not them. You can't make butter with a toothpick. And at least the young guys, especially LB's, have shown improvement and fire. And the DL is decent.

Arod - OK Arod, you're in a slump. Things aren't going well and it seems you're not the most popular guy in the locker room. Time to take a hard look at yourself in the mirror and ask whether or not you have the drive to get your mojo back. Whether you are willing to sacrifice your comfy Alist lifestyle and time with Munn to fix your mind and your fundamentals. You can still be great. but right now you look like that gifted kid who got his clock cleaned and doesn't know how to deal with it. And no, a scotch and some game tape is not gonna fix it. Reps and practice, and more reps, are gonna fix it. Remember when you first came into the league the time and effort you put into learning and improvement? i'm not sure you do.

Secondly show some passion and some fire. Some leadership dammit. Screw your California cool. Do you notice what happens on the Patriots sideline when things go bad? Tom Brady looks like a badger with a hot poker up his butt. How about rallying the troops instead of retreating to your bench to sulk like Jay Cutler.

Offense - First of all, hats off to the OL. Damn fine job this year. I thought you'd flop. but you all have come on strong. Even without the benefit of good TE blockers.

Rest of the offense. You all look like zombies. No passion, no fire. Just a bunch of guys doing individual jobs. Who is going to step up when your leader is wounded? Who is going to provide leadership and inspire the rest of the team? Hold them together? Do you guys even talk outside of practice?

Defense - Defense is actually the bright spot right now and Capers has them playing to their potential (did I just compliment Capers???). The young guys show fire and the vets seem willing to help them and let them shine when they can. This group plays as a team. Now CB depth stinks and TTs diamonds in the rough are really rocks. So can't totally blame it on them. But there is room for improvement. But at least they play hard. Goodson is not a rookie but he hasn't shown any growth. Gunter i had hopes for. But he is what he is.

Special Teams - Any year the Packers aren't talking about how special teams is dragging the team down is a win. Except dumping Masthay for this clown. But that's MM or TT.

Can It Be Fixed? Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that SB window slammed shut after the SEA loss. Could the Packers still conceivably make another SB run with MM and Arod? Yes, but not with TT. The NFL has passed him by and GB can't wait for another 5 years of misses on offense. The NFL doesn't work like that anymore.

I think MM needs a change of scenery, Arod needs to really ask himself if he wants to do this anymore if it's tough. And TT just needs to go. Speed up that transition plan. More likely than not we are in the twilight of the MM/Arod era. GB isn't one of the best in the NFL anymore. heck it's not even the best in the NFC North.

Like i said in another thread the big problem is organizational inertia. TT and MM both seem to have the mindset of that senior executive running out the clock. It worked 6 years ago it should still be good now! except in business and sports it doesn't work that way. That's the dangerous "we've always done it this way" mindset.

There is the cold hard truth as I see it. In a few seasons Arod, Jordy, CMIII all will probably be gone. That core group will age out and a new era will start. The longer GB waits to make that transition the harder it becomes. tc(sb(

The draft guru, Ted is gone. Look at last week's game to see how Dallas has built up a dominating Offensive line, while Ted has ignored that position in draft and FA. MM's offense is non existent. Predictable and stale. Rodgers has no respect for MM, or interest in his playcalling. We have no team leaders. Glass half empty? Yeah, I guess I am.

Defense - Defense is actually the bright spot right now and Capers has them playing to their potential (did I just compliment Capers???). The young guys show fire and the vets seem willing to help them and let them shine when they can. This group plays as a team.

I love the post... strongly disagree with the part quoted above. I think ya'll put way way too much faith in that defense. Before yesterday who did they play ? Minnesota without AP and still gave up almost 300 passing yards to a new QB. A team with an awful OL.

Dallas comes in with a real OL and true RB... 191 yds on the ground 247 in the air and 3 TD to a ROOKIE QB.

Let's add in Detroit ...385 in the air with 3 TD.

Sorry CD that's far from flawless defense. Play like that again against MN,ATL and Philly this last ass kicking is going to feel good. (playing hard is a given not something we should praise )

PS to all our defensive backs play like crap because their coached that way. Awful technique that's not being corrected. sb(tc(

Very similar LOT to what I posted in the other thread with exception to your compliment of Capers.....not on board there at all and agree with what Mark said

It's amazing how the lack of success in so many areas can actually make the defense look like they're actually doing a good job. It's all a matter of comparisons.

It's probably time to clean house. Murphy will have to retool the entire football operation to right this ship.

I love the post... strongly disagree with the part quoted above. I think ya'll put way way too much faith in that defense. Before yesterday who did they play ? Minnesota without AP and still gave up almost 300 passing yards to a new QB. A team with an awful OL.

Dallas comes in with a real OL and true RB... 191 yds on the ground 247 in the air and 3 TD to a ROOKIE QB.

Sorry CD that's far from flawless defense. Play like that again against MN,ATL and Philly this last ass kicking is going to feel good. (playing hard is a given not something we should praise )

PS to all our defensive backs play like crap because their coached that way. Awful technique that's not being corrected. sb(tc(

Totally agreed. This defense is as bad as it almost always has been under capers(minus 10). The only reason why people aren't noticing it as much is because all the focus has been on the offensive struggles. People are so accustomed to seeing our defense struggle while the offense carries the team.

Totally agreed. This defense is as bad as it almost always has been under capers(minus 10). The only reason why people aren't noticing it as much is because all the focus has been on the offensive struggles. People are so accustomed to seeing our defense struggle while the offense carries the team.

Now, the defense isn't complete garbage. They're not world beaters, but theyve only given up an average of low-20s in points per game the last season and a half. And in that same stretch they've been absolutely bailed on by the offense.

Wow. I agree that things don't look great, but I think you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Capers defense usually plays better with the lead (I know, what defense doesn't). They do have some decent ballplayers and have been effective for most of the year. Fact: We are 3-2 with our two losses to teams that are a combined 10-1. Dallas' OL is arguably the best in the league, but IF we didn't turn the ball over 4 times we would have been right there at the end of the game. IMO. I'm thinking we are not as bad as we looked last Sunday. For years now we suck on national TV.
The staying power of the Packers for the last two decades has come back to bite us as far as obtaining impact players through the draft. It is TT's biggest fault, when you draft late year after year you need to obtain a playmaker through trade or FA. We have a really good OL right now and a good, if seemingly confused, QB. The WR-TE-RB has fallen off the table. Jordy isn't the same and Cobb hasn't been the same since the big contract. It has become crystal clear that TT and MM need to go. Nice run, but stagnation has set in.
MM's ego (along with his QBs) and inability to adjust (Packers rank 30th in the league in second half points per game)are this teams biggest weakness. IMO.

That last part is true. You can lump that in with my rag on assistant coaches. Both Gunter and Goodson are in their second and third seasons respectively and still look completely lost. And considering Gunter had showed promise, it does not reflect well on the coaches. Randall and Rollins haven't exactly taken then next step either.

That's also another knock on MM. Inability to put together a strong staff as of late.

Back