Cheese Curds, 7/12: PFF on Packers' OL and front 7, Greg Jennings on rookie year

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
GettyImages-72841360.0.jpg

Green Bay's fronts on both offense and defense get examined today, while a former Packer receiver dishes on the early part of his career after being drafted by Ted Thompson.

The Green Bay Packers have one of the NFL's best groups of interior offensive linemen, and it's overdue for a few of those players to start getting the recognition that they deserve. While Josh Sitton typically rules the headlines, T.J. Lang and Corey Linsley deserve to be in the discussion as well with the best players at their positions.

In today's curds, we find a mention of Lang in the same breath as Sitton, with both being discussed in the top ten linemen in the entire league today. In addition, the Packers' front seven is broken down and is ranked a bit higher relative to other teams in the league than what you might expect.

Also below, you'll find an interesting chronicle of a former Packer's career in Green Bay. One fascinating item is that he said prior to the 2006 NFL Draft that Green Bay was the last place he wanted to go, but that all changed when he saw the Packers' area code on his cell phone during the second round.

What You Don’t Know About: Being a Wide Receiver | The Players' Tribune
This is Greg Jennings in his own words, and he talks about his second preseason game when he had his "welcome to the NFL" moment courtesy of Falcons safety Chris Crocker.

Countdown to Camp: It's Brett Hundley's time to shine | Packers.com
We examined the quarterbacks yesterday as well; is Hundley going to channel his inner Matt Hasselbeck and become the next "Mister August"?

The 10 best NFL offensive linemen right now | Pro Football Focus
The Packers' starting guards are right in step with each other, as always. Josh Sitton is ranked 8th, while T.J. Lang slots in at 9th place on this list.

Ranking all 32 defensive front sevens | Pro Football Focus
We try not to link to two articles from the same site on the same day, but today is an anomaly. The Packers slot in here at a respectable 18th. Given their concerns at inside linebacker and nose tackle, that ranking is even a bit higher than I would have expected, but the presence of Clay Matthews, Mike Daniels, and Julius Peppers certainly helps out quite a bit.

NFC North Q&A: Who is the division's rising star? - NFC North- ESPN
The Packers' columnist picked Jeff Janis. As with everything Janis-related on the internet, we're not sure if we should take this as being a bit sarcastic or as genuine praise for the third-year wideout who still has plenty to work on.

Report: Von Miller, Broncos put contract talks on hold for the day - Mile High Report
The saga of the reigning Super Bowl MVP will be concluded one way or another by Friday. After all, as former Packers exec Andrew Brandt loves to say, "deadlines spur action."

Continue reading @http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/ ...

Jennings' article was an OK piece, and goes to some (but not enough) detail on what exactly are the things that make transition from college to NFL game tough for receivers. If GJ felt it was tough and there were so many things he needed to work on, I can only imagine what it has been like for a guy like Janis.

I guess, when scouting reports call a guy "raw", or "not polished route runner", there is a lot that goes into that.

I wish someone expanded on the topic even more.

I thought the GJ article was good stuff; especially, for the casual fan. We all crab and complain about things but sometimes do not think about all that goes into it. egg(

Back