Bye Week Blues

I think GB is a better team then Denver. I feel it's a team they can and should beat. If not for Chicago imploding Denver would not have a win.
so what? I am pretty sure the eagles are better than the jets and the jets are a team that the eagles should beat. same goes for the 49ers vs the browns. sometimes teams lose to teams they should beat. it's pretty common actually.

I think when we look at this current team, we are not seeing anything we weren't expecting.

We kept a D-Coordinator that we all knew was inept and has not been successful in the NFL with us or with any other team. They are who we thought they were. An inconsistent D that has no physicality and is soft. Until Joe Berry is gone this D will continue to underperform.

A young QB who has shown us some ability but is inexperienced and has accuracy issues. He is inconsistent which we should expect with a young QB. The thing we need to look for is Love continuing to improve as we go forward. I don't care what our record is, I just want to see Love improve and this offense improve by the end of the year.

This offensive line is a mess. Meyer is close to the worst Center in the league. He needs to be replaced next year. Our LT is below average and getting his butt handed to him on a consistent basis but yet he continues to start. We have Nijman who was very consistent at LT two years ago and has been our swing tackle for the last 3 years yet he sits on the bench. PFF rated him Nijman our second best OL. Why is he buried on the bench? I am not saying he is a Pro Bowler but he is better and has been better then Walker. When are they going to actually make changes to this o-line and see if they can get some better production. Lastly, I know Tom is a media darling but he has given up the most pressures of any lineman the last two games. Is he really that good?

Lastly, the coaching has been very underwhelming, IMO. ML's play calling and creativity has been lacking so far this season. His O-line coaches have not gotten it done and they seem unwilling to make some changes that may help this team. ML continues to say we need to make changes and we will be looking at everything but yet nothing has changed. Personally, I think if ML wants things to change things next year, he needs to get new o-line coaches and a new D-Coordinator that can coach these players better and put them in situations where they can be successful.

Having said all this, I understand this team was not going to be wonderful this year and there were going to be growing pains. I just hope this coaching staff as well as the players show us something the rest of the season so we have some positivity moving forward into next year and can see a bright future for the Packers in the next few years.

Meyer is close to the worst Center in the league.
i didn't disagree with anything in your very thorough post. but this one just really irks me because we could have (and should have) drafted creed humphrey instead of meyer. if only we had a gm that could tell the difference between one of the best centers and one of the worst. that would help the rebuilding process a bit.

i didn't disagree with anything in your very thorough post. but this one just really irks me because we could have (and should have) drafted creed humphrey instead of meyer. if only we had a gm that could tell the difference between one of the best centers and one of the worst. that would help the rebuilding process a bit.
As I said before blame TT. He is the one who taught guys like Gute you only draft OL that have the ability to play more then one spot on the OL. Every OL we draft has ability to play more then one spot. Do agree that is a issue we go for versaility over quality.

As I said before blame TT. He is the one who taught guys like Gute you only draft OL that have the ability to play more then one spot on the OL. Every OL we draft has ability to play more then one spot. Do agree that is a issue we go for versaility over quality.
I like versatility.

Just to add to this thread, on bye weeks since there's no game, I usually start peeking at some draft stuff especially when the bye is later in the season. A little early this year, but here's how I see the team and some off-season thoughts.

At QB they are OK. Haven't seen enough of Love to say if he's the answer for the future. Can't rule out adding a QB, but doesn't feel like a priority. At RB, they need to add a guy, probably in the first 3 rounds of the draft. Aaron Jones could be back on a more team friendly deal and Dillon is likely gone unless he's willing to come back on a near minimum type deal. Anything more than that, let him walk and maybe get a comp. pick.

They're fine at TE. I let Deguara walk and pick up a blocking type veteran in FA. Have mixed feelings about WR. I still don't see "the guy" right now who can be a #1. Watson is starting to feel like a better version of MVS and nothing close to a Davante type WR-1. I like Reed as the slot but so far nobody has been a standout so I'm still looking at WR early in the draft.

The o-line is a mess. Likely need to cut Bahk, BUT, with him on I.R. a release gets complicated. Not sure how that plays out, but bottom line, you can't count on him and a new LT likely needs to be drafted in the first 2 rounds. Keep Walker as the swing tackle. Hope Tom continues to progress at RT. Nijman, Newman, and Runyan should be allowed to walk and maybe get a comp. pick out of them. They need to add a veteran guard and draft a mid-to-late round guy for the interior. Myers is not good, but you may need to wait another year to plug that hole.

They have a couple of mystery pieces at OL. What is the point of Caleb Jones. He doesn't really seem to fit what they do. I'd love to see him play some RT in an actual game to see if he can play. Right now he just seems like a unique toy they keep around to play with in pre-season. Get some answers on him. If he can play RT, maybe you can move Tom inside and fix guard or center. They also need to decide on Rhyan. If he can't beat out Newman then just dump him. I'd like to see him play in a real game or two at some point this season as well.

On defense, I'm not sure I'd do too much right now because I don't know who's coaching defense next year and if there'll be a scheme change. They are mostly OK at DL, but need to add a run-stopper. Slayton is OK, Ford is just a guy, and Clark just seems to disappear for long stretches. Also am not looking to add a high-end pick at ILB, just a run stopping type later in the draft. I'm fine with what they have at Edge. Gary needs to get back to full strength, Van Ness needs some more time, and PSmith is fine to come back - no financial upside to letting him go.

They could really use a slot corner. Seems they are always trying to fit someone into that spot but they don't really have the right guys for it. Safety is a mess. Time to start over. Take one high in the draft and pick up a veteran in FA. The rest of them can come back if they're cheap enough.

I think they are fine at K and P.

Back