Bucky in the NIT - Yea, they deserve it

Gard's last time out with 5.8 seconds on the clock was horrible. There was an open road to the bucket, and he squandered it by calling the darned thing. Of course that wasn't any worse than his pathetic decision on combinations he put on the floor over the last 9 minutes, and his decisions on how to attack the bucket.

Those designed lone wolf attacks at the bucket, and close in passing within the 6 foot ring are game killers. The passes rarely connect, and our drivers had no idea who they should pass to on outlet passes, mainly because they were poorly spaced.

I put this loss totally on Gard. Hopefully next year is his last year in Madison.
Why waste next year?

Why waste next year?
Money. They'd have to eat too much money through the next two seasons. Just don't give him another extension during this next season. Let him know that it's win or pack your bags.

I think the payout, to dump him, would be about $12 mill.

Money. They'd have to eat too much money through the next two seasons. Just don't give him another extension during this next season. Let him know that it's win or pack your bags.

I think the payout, to dump him, would be about $12 mill.
I think the payout would be inexpensive compared to the damage of another year like this one.

I'm still hurting from yesterday's abysmal performance that I called at about 10 minutes left and 5 minutes left. I don't see anything that can help Bucky basketball improve. If they continue to play like this - and there is absolutely no reason to believe they won't, they'll stop selling seats. They will get crushed in the B1G, not make the tourney, and nobody will care about a NIT bid next year. WI will be done with Bucky basketball.

Convince me a top high school recruit will want to come and play for this program focused on defense in an offensive game with this boring offense. Please. I don't see it. I think $12M will be inexpensive to save the program. It could bottom out next year to a place it can't recover from for many years. Fortune favors the bold.

I'd like to see what another coach could do with the talent that's coming back next year, and with the new guys coming in.

I'd like to see what another coach could do with the talent that's coming back next year, and with the new guys coming in.
And, then start going after some real ballers

Reactions: TW
And, then start going after some real ballers
Wisconsin has hamstrung itself by having this belief that they have to recruit kids that will almost guarantee they'll stick around for four years. The problem with that is that it's rarely anyone in the top 100. You need to reach out and get kids that may only stay for a year or two, or possibly 3, as well as the role players. The old school mentality on recruiting has to stop.

It's how they've lost a lot of players over the last decade who would have went to Wisconsin if they knew the Badgers pushed them forward in the program to produce as soon as possible. They haven't got one player out there who will stay less than 3, and probably all of them will stay four.

Wisconsin has hamstrung itself by having this belief that they have to recruit kids that will almost guarantee they'll stick around for four years. The problem with that is that it's rarely anyone in the top 100. You need to reach out and get kids that may only stay for a year or two, or possibly 3, as well as the role players. The old school mentality on recruiting has to stop.

It's how they've lost a lot of players over the last decade who would have went to Wisconsin if they knew the Badgers pushed them forward in the program to produce as soon as possible. They haven't got one player out there who will stay less than 3, and probably all of them will stay four.
WI also wants seems to look at kids who will play defense if they are a score offense kid they seem to want to pass on all those kids.

So, I agree with TW and GBP about Bucky Basketball recruiting.

And, again I'm a knuckledragger needing a ladder to break 5'8" thanks to rugby.

Bucky needs to recruit scorers. As much as I love defense, Basketball is a scoring game. We don't have anybody who can consistently score - and if we do, they aren't played because their defense hasn't matured yet. This strategy must change or we will never recruit 'ballers.'

I would rather win 82 - 74 than lose 54 - 50 with good defense.

Back