Buckeyes big plays too much for Badgers in Big Ten title game

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Wisconsin’s defense has led them to a 12-0 start, but it had a weakness for a big play or two. That weakness was exploited just enough and Ohio State came away with the Big Ten title 27-21 over the Badgers. Wisconsin’s perfect season came to a halt and the College Football Playoff dreams along with them. All it really took was a look at who made the big plays, and it was a pair of...

Source

Continue reading...

Outside the four big plays by Ohio St, they averaged 2.7 yards per play.

2 missed tackles, 1 bad assignment, and 1 bad defensive call tilted this one.

Mark is right. We saw the difference between 2-3 star kids with guts and good coaching and 4-5 star kids with the same thing.

Outside the four big plays by Ohio St, they averaged 2.7 yards per play.

2 missed tackles, 1 bad assignment, and 1 bad defensive call tilted this one.

Mark is right. We saw the difference between 2-3 star kids with guts and good coaching and 4-5 star kids with the same thing.

PC is fixing those things in the next 2 recruiting classes, I am very very proud of those kids... they had a great run.

Consider where GA left us and where we are.... big bright future at UW.

we can disagree on Hornibrook csr( but everyone knows we need more talent. my question to you fellas is how do we get those 4 and 5s? the state of Wisconsin is not a factory of skill players. How do we get studs from tx and fl to come to UW? How do we get a top Qb out of Cal to come to Madison??

Stanford stole local kid (wake forest nc) from the Carolinas and all the SEC schools. It can be done just wondering what yall think

we can disagree on Hornibrook csr( but everyone knows we need more talent. my question to you fellas is how do we get those 4 and 5s? the state of Wisconsin is not a factory of skill players. How do we get studs from tx and fl to come to UW? How do we get a top Qb out of Cal to come to Madison??

Stanford stole local kid (wake forest nc) from the Carolinas and all the SEC schools. It can be done just wondering what yall think
He's starting to do that ( we just got a 5 star OT). I think the exposure this season helped a lot. One other big hurdle at UW is the academic requirements to get in. As much as I hate to admit it GA had a legitimate argument on that point.

A good 45 to 50 % of the 4 and 5 star guys can't make the grade at UW. PC has to fix 2 issues...speed and athleticism at WR and the same in his defensive backfield. He has a couple WR coming that will help in that regard and 2 CB as well.

To answer your question, continue recruiting the SE US and Texas hard. Get the best out of WI,IL, MN and MI that you can. Raid Ohio and NJ for talent when you can.(Not easy) Also PC gained some leverage in Penn recruiting while at Pitt..that helps.

Last point, keep the staff together. Barry has to help with this. The relationships the coachs have with kids is very very important. Open the pocket book Barry.

agreed with the academic standards. not saying become FSU but loosen it up a little. I always look at Duke basketball. They are small and have crazy standards but K gets top classes every yr. Yea I know different sport and hes a legend. Just in aw of how he does it every year.

yes Barry needs to pay these assistant coaches. quit nickel and diming them.

I also think it would be great to steal an assistant for a Clemson or a bama and try to use their ties to get kids also. It wouldn't hurt. of course it isn't going to be a DC or OC but a qb coach or wr coach that can try to get a kid to follow them.

That's the kicker for the whole Big 10. Everyone is chasing Meyer. The dude has recruited very well, has depth and talent like no other, and unless all Big10 teams figure it out, they'll continue to chase OSU. It pains me to say it.

That's the kicker for the whole Big 10. Everyone is chasing Meyer. The dude has recruited very well, has depth and talent like no other, and unless all Big10 teams figure it out, they'll continue to chase OSU. It pains me to say it.

yea its the truth but I think we could at least be able to close the gap. he has 63 four and five stars on his team right now. we have 6. 15 to 20 would be awesome

UW will never be able to recruit at levels of OSU, PSU, etc., at least until they do much more than they have done to this point. I love PC and the Badgers. I know the narrative is that PC is upping the ante in terms of recruiting, but there is no solid objective evidence this is the case, yet. If we use the common recruiting services for numbers, Bielema's recruiting classes were usually in the mid-to-high 30's nationally. Anderson's classes were in the 30's . . . and Chryst's classes are in the 30's, including next years group.

Now, I won't argue that perhaps he isn't doing a better job of recruiting the right types of 3-star kids (especially pro-style QBs and some better speed for the secondary) but the bottom line is that he's still pretty much recruiting all 3-star kids. The 2018 class has one 4-star and no 5-star kids. By contrast, Ohio State has 17 kids above 3-stars, PSU has 11, UofM has 8. Currently UW's class is ranked behind all 3 of those schools and is also behind MSU and Maryland and is only marginally better than Minnesota's class in the Big-10. I have little doubt that PC will do more with that group than the rest of these schools, but ultimately, he will have to get past one of those teams filled with 4 and 5 star kids, and he'll have to do it with the 3-star kids he's recruiting. Now, once he get's over that hump he might have a better shot at a few more of those kinds of players, but academics and geography say we'll never get a bunch of them.

Now, IMO the overall reason we lost to OSU was the play at the LOS. They were better there than the Badgers. They protected their QB better, opened more holes for their RBs, and really stymied the Badgers running game. Was Hornibrook the reason they lost - no. But he was part of the overall problem. A great QB could have been the difference. He is not great, but he is good enough to win you a lot of games. I'm not sure though that absent some other special players around him, that he'll be good enough to get you over the hump. I fully expect UW will win the west again next year but I also suspect we will see a similar result in the B1G championship game. Maybe Jack Coan will be the QB that gets us there, maybe it'll be Mertz, the 2019 recruit.

Back