Brian Gutekunst/ Mark Murphy Presser Highlights

I agree this has opened the door to a potential situation of infighting and guys fighting for power. Doesn't necessarily mean it will happen. Depends on how Murphy handles this stuff. If he starts to let Ball and Mac come to him and complain about every little thing and he starts to take sides on that, then we can plan on problems for the franchise. If Murphy just forces them to talk to each other and come to a decision then it might work.

I was reading that the Steelers have had a similar arrangement for a number of decades. Murphy needs to show he's a wise as the Rooney family and this will work. If he's not, plan for another teardown in about 4-5 years.

So Murphy has been pretty much all on the business side and hands off the football side for 10 years and now all of a sudden he feels the need to muck it up. If Gutekunst is your guy at GM then give him the same role/authority that TT had since day 1 of his tenure.
I think that TT is the reason this all blew up. Harlan admitted he had to give Ron Wolf TOTAL control or Wolf wouldn't have taken the job. Green Bay was desperate and Harlan conceded. It worked, but not as smoothly as we like to recall. Wolf was a special person at a time of need. TT inherited the benefits of control that Wolf cemented into the routine. Part of the reason Wolf left was the restrictions the salary cap placed on player movement. (IIRC, he wanted badly to cut A Freeman one year after he signed a big contract.) Anyway, TTs lack of social skills sabotaged the model Harlan had given Wolf. So now Murphy has reconstituted a 'business' model. RB and 57 pointed out that similar models exist in some other successful organizations. We'll see if it works here pretty soon. It will depend on egos, will they work together for the Packers' success? I'm not Pollyanna, but I do hope for the best. My favorite part of BGute's presser was that he said he would be more available to answer questions. The guy seems pretty articulate, I like it.

Another interesting thing to come out recently: as part of interviews Murphy looked at the scouting reports for each candidate for the first three rounds of the last three drafts. Said Gute just about nailed his evaluations based on on field performance. There are a lot of duds and tweeners and projects in that group, so if true it makes you realize the extent to which TTs talent evaluation has gone off the rails. It means he wasn’t listening to his top scouts, just doing his own thing.

I liked that part too rpiotr. That's a good method to determine how qualified someone is to be a GM IMO.

Back