Brewers at Nationals: Wednesday game report

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Once again, manager Craig Counsell took advantage of a team off day (Thursday) to rest Ryan Braun and give him consecutive days off instead of just one. Counsell has done that to assist Braun in managing his lower back after surgery to repair a herniated disc last October.

Continue reading...

I'd love to know why Counsell left Garza in there so long when it was obvious he was having issues all afternoon giving the National hitters pitches usually reserved for a home run derby.

That's the problem though Pugger it's not like he left Garza out there really late into the game. I don't think he made it through the 5th. They are having problems with several starting pitchers and sometimes you just have to give your bullpen a break so you have them to work the next game. If he pulls Garza in the 2nd or 3rd then you burn arms in the pen that you don't have the next day or two.

This team is going nowhere this year. I'm actually of the opinion that you have Garza throwing as many innings as possible to see if you can reclaim him and make him tradeable. Make him earn some of that money. Do you maybe lose a few more games, sure, but it's not like you are in the playoff hunt. The problem with constantly rescuing him early is that you make him look even worse than he is, making him untradeable, and you keep burning up your bullpen to finish his innings which might cost you in the next game. Have a strong bullpen available to help the guys who are making good starts. I'm throwing him out there every 5th day and making him work as long as reasonably possible.

Back