Brewers announce change in philosophy with Christian Yelich, Lorenzo Cain acquisitions

CrewNation

Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
After opening each of the last two seasons with one of the five lowest payrolls in MLB, Milwaukee pulled off two stunning and expensive moves.

brewers

Continue reading...

The Yellich contract is not really very expensive by today's standards, so from a contract perspective, his deal is pretty affordable. Cain on the other hand . . . ? Not sure the Brewers are the sort of team that should be giving 32 year old outfielders 5 year deals. Odds are good that last year or two will be a waste of money. For a club like the Yankees, $15mil/yr in dead money at the end of a deal is church bingo money, but not for the Brewers. That's the deal I worry about. Of course, if they contend and get to a World Series in the first few years of Cains deal then it'll be worth it.

All I have to say at this point is that I love these moves, and I'm thrilled the Brewers have actually opened a true five year window to compete. This is probably the biggest move in franchise history when you think about it -- there has not been a true 5-year window of contending since 1978-1982. Now the club has some proven MLB talent at a very high level, and they still have a pretty strong farm system. This is going to be fun.

All I have to say at this point is that I love these moves, and I'm thrilled the Brewers have actually opened a true five year window to compete. This is probably the biggest move in franchise history when you think about it -- there has not been a true 5-year window of contending since 1978-1982. Now the club has some proven MLB talent at a very high level, and they still have a pretty strong farm system. This is going to be fun.

For those of us old enough it does make you think about the Fingers/Simmons/Vuck trade. And clearly there are more moves coming. I was fine to be patient and wait for some of these guys to develop into major leaguers but I'm not going to lie - this is all of course very exciting.

110% in agreement. This was an epic day in team history. I'm very impressed with what they did. Stearns can be smart without a computer program. Free agents were sitting out there at good prices and the Brewers had the right prospect pieces to trade for signed controllable players. Pundits say it makes them a 3rd place team. Others say the Cubs have depleted their farm system and have core young players that still have big paydays coming.
The Cardinals are the team really who will be to me the team to beat in a 5-year window.

What happens to the Brewers drafting if they average 90 wins over the next 5 years is the least of my worries.
I’m anxious to see what they’re going to do about starting pitching, because without an upgrade there I don’t see them winning 90 games this year.

Making the moves they made yesterday wouldn't make sense if they are going to wait for Nelson to get healthy (and hopefully be effective) and for the top SP prospects to develop.
I like the idea of a trade involving Santana and one of the Indians starting pitchers.

Back