Big 10 Expansion

TW

Reaction score
It was inevitable that the Big 10 would expand, regardless of any metrics based on money splits. They're eyeing both Washington and Oregon, as new additions, and both seem to be chomping at the bit to get in. This is exactly what some of us could see coming down the road for quite some time.

If you look at it realistically, both schools are AAU, and fit the requirements for being part of the union.

Don't be surprised if they also tap Stanford and The University of California, Berkley, to join the fray.That would give them some really solid numbers when it comes to living rooms where the games would be available. They too, are AAU schools.

It was inevitable that the Big 10 would expand, regardless of any metrics based on money splits. They're eyeing both Washington and Oregon, as new additions, and both seem to be chomping at the bit to get in. This is exactly what some of us could see coming down the road for quite some time.

If you look at it realistically, both schools are AAU, and fit the requirements for being part of the union.

Don't be surprised if they also tap Stanford and The University of California, Berkley, to join the fray.That would give them some really solid numbers when it comes to living rooms where the games would be available. They too, are AAU schools.
I kind of disagree on the schools, ACC is going away...look for Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, NC State and Miami to get long looks by the Big Ten. Ga Tech gives them the ATL tv market and Washington gives them Seattle... don't discount the $$ part of it.

Washington and Oregon both asked to join but I believe Big Ten has told them they are not going to consider any new teams until Notre Dame makes up their mind. The Big Ten really wants ND and after they make up their minds is when the Big Ten will decide what to do. I think Big Ten also needs to look south and try to find a couple teams down south to tap into those markets.

Washington and Oregon both asked to join but I believe Big Ten has told them they are not going to consider any new teams until Notre Dame makes up their mind. The Big Ten really wants ND and after they make up their minds is when the Big Ten will decide what to do. I think Big Ten also needs to look south and try to find a couple teams down south to tap into those markets.
correct the Big ten declined the last request by both. ND wants a lot of extra $$$$, Not sure that ever happens.

The B1G was enamored with GT years ago (Delaney). Follow the money. Washington might be an option later because as Mark said the TV market. The rest just don't make sense yet though Miami could peak their interest.

Issue also how big do you expand to? It does see that at some point at least one of not both the PAC and BIG-12 both as power 5's as they lose teams to other conferences. It's then you see those other 3-4 conferences once they are up to the 20 or so teams each break away from the NCAA at least for football and have their own system.

Issue also how big do you expand to? It does see that at some point at least one of not both the PAC and BIG-12 both as power 5's as they lose teams to other conferences. It's then you see those other 3-4 conferences once they are up to the 20 or so teams each break away from the NCAA at least for football and have their own system.
I think we will see both the SEC and Big 10 become mega-conferences, and pretty much break away from the NCAA. I don't think either conference wants to share a nickel of their revenue with them.

I think they are probably seeing 4 divisions, or sub-conferences, in each of the two, and that will be the nucleus for their future. If they each reach 24 teams, it would be enough for them to go it alone.

I think we will see both the SEC and Big 10 become mega-conferences, and pretty much break away from the NCAA. I don't think either conference wants to share a nickel of their revenue with them.

I think they are probably seeing 4 divisions, or sub-conferences, in each of the two, and that will be the nucleus for their future. If they each reach 24 teams, it would be enough for them to go it alone.

I think something along these lines makes sense. You could do 20 teams and then stop for a while before you go to 24. If you go to say 20, you could divide into 4 "pods" of 5 for protected games and to manage travel somewhat.

If you assume something like that then you go with 3 more west coast teams so you get to 5. Washington, Oregon and Stanford would make sense. Notre Dame would be the obvious 4th team to round things out. Everyone plays the other 4 teams in their pod every year and two teams from each of the other 3 pods for 10 games in conference. Leaves room for 2 OOC games.

Now, how you work out those "pods" or "divisions" would be up for debate. Probably no way to do it and make if fair and acceptable to everyone.

20 Teams max. No divisions. 10 conference games a year with one perm rival game play 9 different teams one year and the other 9 the next year.

Back