Badgers lose to Hoosiers

TW

Reaction score
I don't think Mertz has what it takes to be the Wisconsin QB at this time. I don't think it's lack of skills, but diminished skills quite possibly as a carry over from his bout with Covid. It does strange things to people, and from what we've seen, it can take a lot away from athletes.

I'm not offering it as an excuse, but a point to consider. As I indicated yesterday, it's time to turn the game over to Coan, if he's ready, and let Mertz recover like he should. Next year he should be good to go.

The Badger defense is great. They did a fantastic job. Mistakes on offense killed the Badgers chance of winning. They just plain don't have it all together, and injuries on the offensive line are beginning to mount up considerably. That said, the bad snaps from center, in shotgun, did nothing to help the passing rhythm they should have had. A true freshman had to take the field, and just wasn't ready for it. Rest assured, if he's in next week, he'll be ready.

Berger needs to get the ball more. The passing game needs to improve.

On defense, giving up a mere 217 total yards? That's amazing! But.... Mertz cannot do the job at this point in time, and it's foolish to rely on him the rest of this year. It just isn't coming back. You can see a complete difference in his play on the field, compared to his first two games. He's not the same guy.

Until UW up's their WR game I am not sure it matters much....they have some young help coming in that might help year 1.

I know this won’t be a popular take but here it goes. Mertz was not going to be QB1 this year until Coan got injured. Sure, the kid had a great start vs Illinois but he was 13/22 for 127 @ Michigan. Those are numbers Hornibrook would have gotten grilled for. Lot of issues
  • He’s just not seeing the field well, even vs, Michigan. He threw into traffic multiple times yesterday
  • Slow on progressions. Case in point was last play of the day. Dike beat his guy off the line and had 2-3 steps on him. Deliver the ball then not wait for help to close had fit a ball on a dime.
  • The only reliable receiving threat is 84. At this level that’s not going to cut it
  • No identity on offense. Watson is just not the answer and Grosheck is what he is. A gritty back , program guy. Berger is the future. He needs more touches but maybe the playbook is too much yet. Only way Mertz succeeds now is run support
  • When Lyles went out OL struggled with protection and run blocking. I know it’s one guy but a freshman backup center won’t help
This is much of what we should have expected this year but Illinois & Michigan games hid many flaws on offense. We lost out #1WR, lost a generational RB, #1 QB hurt in camp. Now factor in 3 games canceled due to Covid. Yesterday was the 2nd game in 5 weeks. Your asking a lot of young class when you lose that much continuity. The bright side is your 3 best skilled kids on offense are freshman and the recruiting classes will bring some depth.

I think Pack nailed it. I most agree with the not playing. What I could see yesterday looked out of sorts

Until UW up's their WR game I am not sure it matters much....they have some young help coming in that might help year 1.
Couldn't agree more. They're hurting at WR. Dike is the best they have, and he's just starting to learn the college game.

UW I can see losing to Iowa next week and having a losing season at 2-3

Right now I am giving the Badgers D and could go to a F- if they do lose to Iowa. They beat a crappy IL and MI teams and lost to the 2 good teams they played.

Last edited:

Right now I am giving the Badgers D and could go to a F- if they do lose to Iowa. They beat a crappy IL and MI teams and lost to the 2 good teams they played.

Don't be too rough on them. It's a weird year. Packinatl nailed it. Take the positives and build on that. 2021 season is gonna look a lot different. You guys have a well built program and one that is pointed upwards. Enjoy the year for what it is and then move on!

Don't be too rough on them. It's a weird year. Packinatl nailed it. Take the positives and build on that. 2021 season is gonna look a lot different. You guys have a well built program and one that is pointed upwards. Enjoy the year for what it is and then move on!
They need to get some WR's in the program I like what Berger could maybe do at RB in the future though

Grade no matter what is incomplete. So many factors this year. No way you can get continuity with missing 3 weeks and then add in youth at key positions

Here is the 10,000 pound gorilla in the room. Before Mertz ever took a snap he was anointed the savior of the program. Now add in his performance vs Illinois and expectations became unrealistic. Remember just last year he was #3 on the depth chart of a while behind Wolf. Even this year when Coan went down it was Mertz OR Wolf. Now thrown in what was lost from last year and injuries 2-2 right now should be about what we thought. Indiana is not your grandfather’s Indiana. That’s a talented team. The combined record of teams we lost to? Yep 11-2. And Indiana lost to OSU and played them tough.

Last edited:
Back