Badgers beat Miami in Orange Bowl: The good, the bad and what it means for 2018

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Everyone came in to the Orange Bowl expecting the Miami Hurricanes and Wisconsin Badgers to get in to a defensive slugfest. Instead, everyone was treated to an offensive explosion, one that ended up favoring the Badgers in a 34-24 win. It gave Wisconsin a record 13 wins on the year (13-1) and a fourth straight win in a bowl game. Speaking of records, it was UW quarterback Alex Hornibrook setting...

Source

Continue reading...

The Badgers "proved" beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they belonged in this game. They joined six other Big 10 teams that knocked off the opposition in bowl games. None have lost. All that's left is Ohio State, and if they win their battle, it will be a perfect 7-0 record from a conference that was so maligned by the eastern/southeastern garbage about their teams being "the greatest" every year. It will be "proof" that the Big 10 can play with the best of them, and the rankings, as they stand, are a joke.

Taylor averaged 5 yards a carry, getting 130, and set a new standard for a season, as a true freshman. Imagine, beating out Peterson and Dayne to get there. Amazing. Yet, he wasn't the story. The real story was Alex Hornibrook, who looked every bit the part of a QB whose days has come, and he's going to play at a level we all hoped for, over the next two years, with the Badgers.

Not only was it a win for this season, it was a win for a program that's going to be able to get some real recruiting help from what they're doing. We're seeing a real winner here!

Just a really nice win for UW. See what happens with 3 WR that can run and catch ? PC is adding more depth at WR and at DB in the next 2 recruiting classes to fix the issue long term

Badgers defense just keeps trucking. Here's hoping TJ Edwards comes back for his SR yr FCC( UW would still need to replace 9 starters on D...Ouch !

Enjoy the off season ! onwisco)

I heard a comment, from a guy close to the Badger program, that there is a lot of talent waiting to get their chance to play defense at Wisconsin. He said they really believe in the "next man up" philosophy, and should be pretty darned tough next year despite those leaving.

I think we have 5 red-shirt seniors, that could opt to come back next year? If that includes Cichy, we can only talk about 4. He's already gone as far as he's concerned. I understand why.

T.J. staying would be huge. Add Orr to the mix. Van Ginkel coming back. Carrier-Williams. Connelly. So many more guys who can do a lot on the field, but haven't gotten noteriety. Even the big Somoan, who takes up about half the field. Some kids who can play the game.

I'm excited for next year.

All that's left is Ohio State, and if they win their battle, it will be a perfect 7-0 record from a conference that was so maligned by the eastern/southeastern garbage about their teams being "the greatest" every year.

ohio state won their bowl game the day before the badgers won theirs. the b1g is already 7-0. the only game left is michigan vs south carolina. if they win, the b1g will be 8-0.

ohio state won their bowl game the day before the badgers won theirs. the b1g is already 7-0. the only game left is michigan vs south carolina. if they win, the b1g will be 8-0.

Sorry about that! Meant to say Michigan. It was a brain fart! :oops:

Nelson has announced he's going to the NFL draft this year. He did a great job, and will be missed. I wish he would have stayed for his final year of eligibility.

Nelson has announced he's going to the NFL draft this year. He did a great job, and will be missed. I wish he would have stayed for his final year of eligibility.

can jordy be re-drafted?

I hope Nelson has a good combine. He's been solid this year but kinda still needs to work on keeping his hands off guys. Would have been nice to have him back for another season. Oh well, best of luck to him.

I'm excited too for next season. The offense loses only Fumagali and Ramesh. There was some discussion about an o-lineman or two maybe thinking about moving on, but I don't see it. They might be best off moving Dieter back inside and starting one of the young guys at LT next year. They have some options next year on the line. Plus with Cephus coming back, they will be 4 deep with quality guys at WR for a change.

They are losing a lot on defense which is concerning, but hopefully Leonard will be back as DC. I think he'll find a way to put together a solid unit. They won't be as good as the past 2 years, but hopefully with a more potent offense they can get away with giving up a little more.

On d-line they lose James, Sheehy and Obasih which is a lot of experience gone. I assume Sagapolu is back. Rand is able to play some DE. Those 2 along with Loudermilk will be a solid trio.

At ILB, if Edwards is back they will be solid on the inside with him, Orr and Connelly. On the outside they have a rising star in Van Ginkel and some interesting guys after him. Baun likely would have gotten a lot of snaps this year and he should be back after injury rehab. Tyler Johnson was supposedly showing up in practice. Christian Bell transferred from Alabama and I'm not sure why he hasn't seen more reps, but maybe he's just not ready. They should be solid at OLB.

The back end will be tough. At safety, D'cota Dixon will be back and Eric Burrell is young with some talent. They have some youth for depth there with kids that were well regarded coming out of HS. At CB, things will be really interesting. Carriere-Williams is one starter but opposite him, there is nobody with experience. Ceasar Williams, Madison Cone, and Faion Hicks are all they have right now. All 3 will probably need to play next year unless one of the true freshman are ready to take some snaps.

They are in a tough spot on defense with lots of holes to fill, but they've been recruiting better on defense the last few seasons so I think they will be good enough to make it another great season with a trip to the CCG.

Back