Backup QB

Happytime Harley

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
So, we need another quarterback it seems. Would you rather bring in a vet to spell Love if he’s out for a couple games or just go with maybe Etling and a draft pick? I’m guessing they keep three this season. If a vet, who?

So, we need another quarterback it seems. Would you rather bring in a vet to spell Love if he’s out for a couple games or just go with maybe Etling and a draft pick? I’m guessing they keep three this season. If a vet, who?
Not sold on Etling being a quality backup. Guy has been in the league since 2018 played on 7 different teams all on the PS and only time he was ever active for a game was once due to a guy being out with covid.

Here's a depth chart listing of rostered QBs across the league

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldep...rts/depthchartpos/QB

Teams will max out their QB room from May - August and then some are cut loose, others sent to PS. Some of these vets can be too spendy.

Jets have 4 QBs right now, fair chance GB could snag Tim Boyle / Chris Streveler at some point. Both know the offense, have played in NFL games and are cheeep.
Joe Flacco is a FA, he knows this offense and played for $ 3.5M last year

Click on " QBs" to see FA options

https://overthecap.com/free-agency

GB needs a competent back- up and a mid- round developmental guy.

4-5 teams will add a top pick at QB and that might make some depth QBs available. Colts for example have Gardner Minshew and Nick Foles. Houston has Davis Mills and Case Keenum.

I don't think they're going to invest too much in a back up for Love. He's going to sink or swim. Next year he'll either be entrenched in the job, or gone. Nobody knows, not even Love himself. There will probably be a UDFA on the practice squad at QB, and the back up himself will be someone who understands the system being used, but is at best, a journeyman. As for myself? I don't care, because I have no high expectations, and realize that the worse they do the higher their picks in 2024. That would at least soften some of the blow, if Love blows the chance he's getting.

Personally, I think Love will be a respectable QB, but nothing special. We've had our share of those for the last quarter of a century. I doubt you can go one more in a row, but it would be nice.

I'm all for a veteran if you can find one at a price that fits under the CAP. It'd probably have to be a deal at $2mil or so. Not sure that guy is available. If not, draft one on day 3 and roll with what you've got, for better or worse.

I know some say Matt Ryan but would he take vet min or near to it? If not how about AJ McCarren had good year in XFL. Either one might be ok to fill in if you want a backup vet to help be a coach for a young 1st year starter.

I'd take Matt Ryan for one year. If Love doesn't cut it, and Ryan shows signs of being a decent caretaker until someone can be groomed, why not? He still has some chops, even though they're not what they were.

Now you have to ask yourself if he wants to play in GB? And for how much?

I'd take Matt Ryan for one year. If Love doesn't cut it, and Ryan shows signs of being a decent caretaker until someone can be groomed, why not? He still has some chops, even though they're not what they were.

Now you have to ask yourself if he wants to play in GB? And for how much?
Thing is I think TW GB before the Monday deadline GB will pickup Loves $20 million 5th year option so Love will get at least 2 years in GB to prove himself

Back