"Athlete" mock

57packer

Reaction score
A just for fun and discussion mock. Also I'm tired of talking about Rodgers and Adams. We know the Packers love to draft "athletes". They don't ignore production and what they see on film, but seem to favor guys with high end athletic traits over those that lack them. Sometimes it works, sometimes it blows up on them. Here's a mock with guys who all have higher end athleticism in areas of the draft where they seem to fit. A few are maybe a little out of place.

First off, I'm trading #28 to the Texans for #37 and #80 because the Texans see a QB they want at the tail end of Rd 1. I don't really think this will happen but it works out for my scenario, so I'm going with it.

#37 - Boye Mafe - Minn - Edge. Not super productive in college (best year was 6 sacks in 2021) but has the traits you are looking for and that high end athleticism and size (6'4"-261#) at the position that the Packers value. With ZSmith gone and no clear-cut #3 in the edge rusher rotation this pick makes some sense.

#59 - Travis Jones - UConn - DT. Probably would have said this was a round too early a couple of months ago, but he's been rising up boards with a strong showing at the Senior Bowl and a solid Combine. Even this spot might be too late. He's a long, strong explosive guy to pair with Clark for the inside of the Packers DL. Can play the NT position and free up Clark to move around.

#80 - Alec Pierce - Cin - WR. Put up some nice numbers at Cincinnati. He seems to have good hands. Has the speed to succeed deep. A decent route runner. Fits that mold of big fast receivers that the Packers like.

#92 - Coby Bryant - Cin - CB. Yup, another Bearcat. Kind of overshadowed by his teammate at the position, Sauce Gardner, but Bryant is a solid CB with good size and speed. The Packers need to get deeper at CB and this would do it.

#132 - Jelani Woods - Vir - TE. Who knows where this guy will go. Not the most productive in college at OkSt but blossomed when he transferred to Virginia. Seems like an okay blocker with the athleticism and size to be a mismatch in the middle of the field.

#140 – Brandon Smith – PennSt – ILB. Long and athletic, but not all that productive last year when he was used inside more. As a result his draft stock has questions. Seems like Rd 4 is about right.

#171 – Matt Waletzko – NoDak – OT. A tall (6’6”) RT option who has excellent length and some good athletic traits to play tackle in the NFL. Held up well at the Senior Bowl. Could compete at RT right away and with development could surprise as a LT candidate in time.

#229 – Chris Paul – WakeF – OG. Played both tackle and guard at Wake but likely projects to guard in the NFL. Packers love those versatile OL guys. He adds depth in the middle of the line and provides some insurance if Newman doesn’t progress, now that Patrick is gone.

#250 – Smoke Monday – Aub – SS. A good sized safety with good speed and explosion. Not that good in man coverage. A sure and steady tackler who had very few missed tackles. I took him partly because of his name, but more because that speed and sure tackling ability might make him a solid core special teamer.

#259 – Matt Henningsen – Wis – DT. OK, he’s probably an UDFA, but hey, it’s the 7th Rd and I had to take a UW player somewhere. Had a nice pro-day with good explosion and agility numbers. A little shorter than you’d like but makes up for it with non-stop motor.

Okay, have at it.

Last edited:
Don't know if GB will take a Edge 1st round now with keeping Smith and having Gary that might fall down on need list in a deep edge draft

Don't know if GB will take a Edge 1st round now with keeping Smith and having Gary that might fall down on need list in a deep edge draft
Don't completely disagree with that thinking. There is depth in this draft at Edge and they might well wait until Rds 2 or 3 to take one. It's not a huge need, but it's a high value position, and the last time they took an edge in Rd 1, Rashan Gary, they had just signed the Smith brothers a few weeks before that. They like being deep there.

Thanks "T", there are some guys in that mock that I believe the Packers will look at, but of course that means they won't take a single one of them.

Looks like I'll have to find a couple more "athletes" to add to this mock at #22 and #53. With 2 more early picks I'd have to think hard about taking an OT & WR earlier.

I actually wouldn't mind adding 2-3 solid OL this year. We just lost Turner and Patrick and Jenkins will likely start on PUP. If we don't have the WRs to throw it around like in the past, especially early in the season, I want a strong o-line so we can run the damn ball.

I'd love it if I could grab Trevor Penning at #22 and Christian Watson at #53 along with the guys I already have.

Back