Announcers are glorified cheerleaders

TW

Reaction score
I realize this isn't about the Packers, but it is at the same time, because announcers associated with the team are nothing but cheerleaders. It's exactly the same in the NFL, as it is in MLB, and the NBA. The truth shall not set you free, it will get you canned.

I see that Kevin Brown, an announcer for the Baltimore Orioles, has been removed from the team broadcasts because he dared to tell the truth about how poorly the Orioles play at Tropicana Park, in Florida. Teams don't want truth in their broadcasts, they want flowery propaganda dished out to the point of it being nauseating. The truth means nothing.

We need to realize this is exactly what we get when it comes to everything that we get officially from 1265 Lambeau. Cheerleaders.

Yep and he was pretty much reading what was put up on the TV screen so why should he be at fault for what the producers put up on the screen for him to read.

My neighbor, who does radio for the Mavs - was just talking about the on-air people that ESPN recently let go. I'm not a big fan of Jeff Van Gundy, but speculation is that the main reason Van Gundy was let go was because he often criticized the NBA officiating. And it's been pretty obvious for a long time that the NBA does not want any player, coach, owner, media, etc. EVER to criticize the NBA.

My neighbor, who does radio for the Mavs - was just talking about the on-air people that ESPN recently let go. I'm not a big fan of Jeff Van Gundy, but speculation is that the main reason Van Gundy was let go was because he often criticized the NBA officiating. And it's been pretty obvious for a long time that the NBA does not want any player, coach, owner, media, etc. EVER to criticize the NBA.
That's any league you look at any player or coach who says anything at all bad about them gets fined by that league. It's like we got to protect the refs and umps at all cost no matter if they screw up and deserve what the player or coach said.

That's any league you look at any player or coach who says anything at all bad about them gets fined by that league. It's like we got to protect the refs and umps at all cost no matter if they screw up and deserve what the player or coach said.
Exactly. I know they want to make sure that "criticizing the officials" doesn't get out of hand, but then they need to provide some mechanism for feedback. Challenging a call has helped . . . but because it can change the flow of the game they also need to minimize the number of challenges.

Exactly. I know they want to make sure that "criticizing the officials" doesn't get out of hand, but then they need to provide some mechanism for feedback. Challenging a call has helped . . . but because it can change the flow of the game they also need to minimize the number of challenges.
I hate seeing the flow interrupted myself. Then, when I see how many reverses happen, and the result ends up with the team winning, even if it's basketball by... let's say 1 point... I realize that had they not reversed that earlier call, or at least been able to challenge it, the outcome could have easily ended up the opposite of what it was.

Like I said, I don't like the interruptions, but I do like the fact that officials are starting to be held accountable for bad decisions, because everyone gets to see their mistakes, including those that do the hiring and firing, amongst them.

The officials in all sports need to be held accountable - as in after a number of bad calls, no more 'soup' for you.

Not going to happen, but it should.

I think they rely too much on replay.

I would not be shocked at some point MLB does go to robot calls behind the plate

I would not be shocked at some point MLB does go to robot calls behind the plate
It's coming. With Laz behind the plate, the sooner the better. The guy has some serious problems with knowing where the strike zone is.

It's coming. With Laz behind the plate, the sooner the better. The guy has some serious problems with knowing where the strike zone is.
I think it would be for best you don't have every ump having a different strike zone some even having different zones for different teams on the same night.

Back