57packer first try

57packer

Reaction score
I'm still learning the players and this year I'm pretty far behind because work has really gotten in the way the past couple of months. :mad: I'm hoping to have a little more free time in the coming months.

This mock is just based off the stuff I've looked at on a few sites and is kind of thrown together based on where these players are appearing on other's big boards, the Packer's needs, and some preferences and biases I've observed from TT in the past.

Rd1 Jarran Reed DT Bama
Seems to fit into the #27 spot. Good size to play both NT and some DE on early downs. Would be a strong part of a rotation and could grow into the NT spot but has decent length and size so is a solid fit for DE.

Rd2 Josh Boyd WR Pitt
Has decent size at 6'2", decent speed, pretty good hands. Runs pretty solid routes. Seems like the sort of WR the Packers would draft. That DUI last summer is probably the major character issue on him. Had 3 very productive seasons for Pitt which is also a bonus. Not just a 1yr wonder.

Rd3 Jason Spriggs OT Ind
Good length. Needs some size and strength but is solid overall. Some say he's a RT only, but I'm not so sure. He played pretty well against some good pass rushers. Even if that is his upside I'm fine with that. As I've said elsewhere, I'm not sure of Bulaga's future. A lot of leg injuries. Rarely survives a whole season. Reason enough to have a RT waiting in the wings. (It's very possible that this is too late for him.)

Rd4 Tyler Higbee TE W.Kent
Gotta get a small schooler in there somewhere. TT loves him some smaller school guys. Kid has nice size and catches the ball well. There are some questions about his speed so I'm putting him here for now, but if his combine 40-time does not go well, I'd probably replace him with another option.

Rd4 Josh Ferguson RB Ill
A different sort of RB for the Pack. At 5'-10"/200# he's not the bruising type back we typically have on the roster, but is not unlike Franklin whom TT drafted a few years ago. This kid has excellent speed and has proven himself to be a solid receiving threat. Not big enough to be a workhorse back, but not one of those ridiculously small backs either. I'm putting him here simply because I'd like to see a receiving weapon for the pack coming out of the backfield.

Rd5 Josh Perry OLB tOSU
Has the size and length to hold the edge but may not bring much as a pass rusher. Might have to be part of a rotation with someone like Elliott who seems to have trouble on early downs but can rush the passer.

Rd5 Dominique Alexander ILB Okla
Not the biggest ILB, but has some speed and has improved his coverage ability. Don't know a ton more about him but seems to fit at about that spot in the draft, and fits a need.

Rd6 Connor McGovern OG Mizzou
Might end up being one of the stronger guys at the combine. Still needs to add some weight but has decent length.

Rd7 Ken Crawley CB Colo
Just looked for a CB who met TT's size requirement. Really don't know anything about him, but was drafting a db because chances are we draft one somewhere.

Not totally pleased with this draft. Doesn't address ILB early enough. Other than that, I'm OK with this as a first effort. Happy about adding RB and WR with speed and adding a pair of OL. That said, feel free to tear into it.

I think Reed is certainly in the mix for our pick and I would be happy if he is.
I like Spriggs for us, too, but I'm not sure that he lasts until our 2nd round pick, let alone our third.

Overall, I like it.

Thanks DPF or should I say "Guru". Yup, I threw Spriggs in there because he sort of loosely fit the spot and need, but you are totally right . . . he probably won't even last until the 3rd. He's been getting some better evals out there and OTs start to get higher in value once the off-season gets into top gear. Teams who need one will take a guy a little early rather than risk not getting one later. I'll probably have to re-work this in a couple of weeks once I get some more time to get up to speed on the players.

Perry seems to be one of those guys who shows up in different spots. GBN seems to have him in Rd 3. The guys at Walt's didn't have him mocked in the first 4 rounds in either of their mocks. CBS suggests Rd 2. Rd 5 is probably too late.

Back