2024 Draft Thread

Iowa defensive back Cooper DeJean will not participate in testing and position drills at the NFL Scouting Combine next week, The Athletic reported on Thursday.

I have heard a variety of stuff on his injury, broken fib and an ACL tear is what the Badger folks say. Plus some issues with his foot. It's a risk reward pick no doubt. GB has a bad history with those though.
an injured player in the first round? sounds like it's right up gute's alley.

yup I added a pass rusher in that second pick..if he drops that far it's a no-brainer... gotta play it the way the board falls but getting that safety has to be priority #1 IMHO
Hafley spent a good chunk of time in his presser talking about S play and qualities. I don't recall him singling out any other position that way. For whatever it's worth.

Hafley spent a good chunk of time in his presser talking about S play and qualities. I don't recall him singling out any other position that way. For whatever it's worth.
Those top 3 picks are all about his scheme, Ford has the size and instincts to be a perfect 4-3 MLB. Let him read plug and diagnose the defense..Hafley doesn't need that guy to cover. Kinchens starts at safety day 1 and fills a big void, There are only 2-3 players that fill that spot the way Hafley needs it filled, not getting one would be a big big problem.

See like last year and most of the NFL coaching staff's Matt Lafleur and his staff will not attend the combine starting on Monday. This is one thing the NFL could get rid of at this point. The drills do nothing as most teams don't even care how the player tests anymore. Could have the players take a physical at a NFL approved doctor near their homes and they could do zoom meetings with teams.

See like last year and most of the NFL coaching staff's Matt Lafleur and his staff will not attend the combine starting on Monday. This is one thing the NFL could get rid of at this point. The drills do nothing as most teams don't even care how the player tests anymore. Could have the players take a physical at a NFL approved doctor near their homes and they could do zoom meetings with teams.
it's big dollars for the nfl. they're not stopping the combine anytime soon.

yup, if anything they’ll start auctioning off the combine week site like they do for the draft
That's already happening. About a month ago it said NFL and the city of Indy reached an agreement to keep combine in Indy for 2025. So that is telling you the city is cutting a check to the NFL to keep it it Indy. ESPN article was saying in 2022 Dallas and LA had both put in bids to host the combine before Indy won a 2 year deal to keep it there.

That's already happening. About a month ago it said NFL and the city of Indy reached an agreement to keep combine in Indy for 2025. So that is telling you the city is cutting a check to the NFL to keep it it Indy. ESPN article was saying in 2022 Dallas and LA had both put in bids to host the combine before Indy won a 2 year deal to keep it there.
get out of here! that’s crazy. there is nothing the nfl wont sell

Agree the drills seem meaningless and that part could be stopped it seems. The medicals, I guess make some sense in terms of having the same group of people doing them so they're more consistent, though I think that not a big deal. Zoom interviews are fine, but maybe in-person adds some value.

I think the testing has some value. You can argue that broad jumps, 40-times, and 3-cones aren't the reason you draft someone, but I think there's value to getting the information and correlating it with way you see on video and doing them all under the same conditions. I mean, if that stuff doesn't matter then just cancel all the college pro days as well. The fact that colleges have them and teams go to them tells me there is at least some value in the testing, drills, and in-person interviews.

The coaches not going makes some sense. It's just clutter since those guys haven't watched these players nearly as much as the scouting and personnel staff. Does them watching drills and testing add anything?

The combine isn't going anywhere as it keeps the NFL on the news and relevant at a point in time when nothing else is going on.

Back