2023 Training Camp Update: August 9th Joint Practice

Half his incompletions are on drops, I think you have unrealistic expectations. In reality, it's his rookie year as a starter and there are going to be growing pains. Go back and look at AR first year as a starter or Favre, both had some stinker games along the way.
Arod had the advantage of a stacked WR corp right away, Love is essentially stating from zero… so far Love has done very well.

Do not let the sycophants rewrite history - Aaron Rodgers was not without his warts early on. Frankly I think Love looks better at the same point in their careers. Unreasonable to think their ceilings are the same but I’m excited more than nervous about his prospects.

Do not let the sycophants rewrite history - Aaron Rodgers was not without his warts early on. Frankly I think Love looks better at the same point in their careers. Unreasonable to think their ceilings are the same but I’m excited more than nervous about his prospects.

Thought this was interesting from the tweet:

"Though Rodgers’ stats were hurt by several dropped passes, at one point he suffered through a stretch with nine straight incompletions. Six of those came against the second-string defense. What’s more, Rodgers never faced the Packers’ top cornerbacks because Al Harris and Charles Woodson were held out of the scrimmage".

Half his incompletions are on drops, I think you have unrealistic expectations. In reality, it's his rookie year as a starter and there are going to be growing pains. Go back and look at AR first year as a starter or Favre, both had some stinker games along the way.
I think this is an underrated camp storyline right now. When you read the practice breakdowns it's full of stuff like this (from Bill Huber at SI):

• During the first red-zone period, Love was 3-of-4. On the first completion, Love went through his progressions before hitting rookie receiver Jayden Reed in stride for an explosive gain. The incompletion was a bullet to the end zone to Christian Watson that was broken up by veteran slot Mike Hilton. It’s a play Watson probably should have made.
  • Love’s day ended with a 2-minute drill. After completions to Aaron Jones and Romeo Doubs picked up a first down, Love threw a perfect deep ball to Doubs that went through his hands. Had it been caught, it might have been a touchdown over Sidney Jones.
Something worth keeping an eye on as we get into games.

Should we be worried the WR's are dropping so many passes?

Should we be worried the WR's are dropping so many passes?
Put it this way - you have a first year starting QB who is going to be up and down, hot and cold. He's going to make some errant throws, but when he throws those dimes they can't afford for the WR or TE (Musgrave has had drops too) to drop them. The margin for error is just too small. And this isn't unique to Love, just look at how they played last year with Rodgers, it was actually similar. They were an offense in search of big plays and too many times they had an opportunity to make one and the WR dropped the ball or ran the wrong route. That to me is the main reason they could really use a veteran presence in that room, someone who has relaxed hands who will be reliable and make those catches. Would take some pressure off of everyone.

Put it this way - you have a first year starting QB who is going to be up and down, hot and cold. He's going to make some errant throws, but when he throws those dimes they can't afford for the WR or TE (Musgrave has had drops too) to drop them. The margin for error is just too small. And this isn't unique to Love, just look at how they played last year with Rodgers, it was actually similar. They were an offense in search of big plays and too many times they had an opportunity to make one and the WR dropped the ball or ran the wrong route. That to me is the main reason they could really use a veteran presence in that room, someone who has relaxed hands who will be reliable and make those catches. Would take some pressure off of everyone.
So convince Jordy when he's up here for the HOF banquet to come out of retirement? :)

Agree, The problem is they can't offer much in terms of salary so there isn't much to be had in terms of vet talent that cheap. It would be nice if they could rework a contract or two and pick up a vet WR and backup QB after cut downs.

Back