2022 GB 53 Man roster

Taking some real chances with RB group.
Hope it doesn’t bite them
I still think we could hear news Packers claimed a RB or at least put in a claim and if they don't get a guy they want bring back either Goodson or Taylor.

I still think we could hear news Packers claimed a RB or at least put in a claim and if they don't get a guy they want bring back either Goodson or Taylor.
They ran Amari several plays out of the backfield. That's how he was used in college. Can pick up blitzes too. Cobb has also done that in the past.

Davis was probably the most surprising. He'd been the #3 pretty much all off-season, OTAs, Mini-Camp. He looked good. He had good practices, he was working with the #1s. He was a 5th round pick, Indy cut him despite needing a Safety. It'd be similar to cutting Enagbare for us. If Vernon Scott was healthy and they kept him, it'd be less surprising. But Abernathy, who wasn't even on a team heading into week 1 of the pre-season, he's seemingly slid into that #3 spot.

Ford would be the other surprise. To go into a season with 3 guys who are NTs? That's a little strange, but Clark's playing more DE and they must think Ford can as well. That move may be tied into Wyatt's pre-season vs the run. He's got an incredible 1st step and he's a nice pass rusher and I think he's going to just keep getting better vs both, but right now, if they had to play him 40-45 snaps, I don't think he'd grade out real well as a run stuffer. That's not a critique on the pick. I was really hoping for him at #22 and I still like it, but he loses gap integrity too often.

Other slight surprises;

2 RBs- I saw Andy Herman speculate they may go with 2 and someone else here mentioned it and it started to make more sense. Goodson and Taylor probably get through waivers, you can protect 4 guys. So at that point, it's a 57 man roster and they even have Dexter Williams who they could bring back before Kylin Hill is ready(if Kylin Hill is as good as some think he is and if he recovers from that really ugly knee injury).

I really wanted Jones to make it just because he's so massive and he looked like he had good feet for his size. And he wasn't just playing against guys who were 3rd and 4th string, he got good snaps vs some starters and some backups. I think he put enough on tape that some team will take him.

I don't think that's really a "surprise," so much as just a close call. Walker played well...at RT in the 2nd half of the last pre-season game. I agree, with so little tape on him, I thought he'd be the better chance to make it through waivers. He's also more athletic than Jones and he fits the scheme better. I thought Jones ability to just move people would overcome that, but I guess not. He probably fits best in a scheme like Dallas has...and with Tyron Smith going on IR, I would be very surprised if he makes it past them.

Beyond that maybe a little bit surprised about Crosby starting the season active, but with none of the team activities open to the public, we have no idea how he looks and we're not even getting any hints from the guys up there every day. So he must be ready.

But don’t the PS rules now help reduce some risk? You can elevate guys the day before a game and they revert right back. It’s much more flexible now than it used to be.
You can elevate a guy 3 times.
So after 6 games they can’t play this card anymore, and that’s if they squeeze both Taylor/Goodson through to the PS.

So assuming Hill returns after his PUP stint, this makes sense.
But what if Hill has a setback?

It’s just an unusual gambit by Gute/ML, and I hope it doesn’t blow up in their face.

You can elevate a guy 3 times.
So after 6 games they can’t play this card anymore, and that’s if they squeeze both Taylor/Goodson through to the PS.

So assuming Hill returns after his PUP stint, this makes sense.
But what if Hill has a setback?

It’s just an unusual gambit by Gute/ML, and I hope it doesn’t blow up in their face.
I guess I'm just not as concerned based on the starter/depth quality difference. If Jones or Dillon has to miss a lot of time AND Kylin Hill has a setback, what's the difference between Patrick Taylor filling in or Tyler Goodson or any number of guys they could pick up off the street? I just feel that if any of Jones/Dillon/Tonyan go down, this offense comes very easy to play against.

Back