2021 Off Season Thread

I do agree Funchess is in danger. It was stupid of him to skip OTAs the guy at best comes into the season as a 4 or 5 WR on the team. He has no on field experience in ML's system and he's not played in 2 years I could see GB give other guys on the team who have played or been to more OTA's a chance before him.

Veteran in danger: Devin Funchess, WR

Why he could get cut: Funchess looks the part when he walks onto the practice field: tall (6-foot-4), well-built (225 pounds) and confident. But he has played only one regular-season game the past two years. He broke his collarbone in the 2019 opener for the Colts and missed the rest of the season, then was a COVID-19 opt-out last year. He skipped OTAs this spring and then dropped out from one of the three minicamp practices after getting banged up. Coach Matt LaFleur made it sound like Funchess is not a sure thing, saying, "there is a lot to learn there and he's got to continue to grind over the summer so he can put his best foot forward come training camp." -- Rob Demovsky

McCarren had good things to say about him in his most recent “Rock Report”, but that’s his job so take it FWIW.

If GB keeps just 5 WR (just my guess/opinion), I wouldn’t be surprised to see both Funchess and ESB get their walking papers, because when you’re the #5 and/or #6 WR you better be on all the ST’s packages, and both Funchess and ESB contribute little/nothing in that phase.

Letting go of MVS at this juncture would be a huge mistake (imo). Donald Driver, James Jones, Davante Adams and possibly others I'm forgetting struggled mightily until putting it all together in year 3 or 4 of their respective careers. If he can get over the drops, MVS will be an absolute monster.

He was someone that a lot of people had going to GB, send MVS and a 7th for him..... nice upgrade.
Henry made his numbers in college from RAC and contested catches. He could not get consistent separation. That’s won’t cut it at the next level

Letting go of MVS at this juncture would be a huge mistake (imo). Donald Driver, James Jones, Davante Adams and possibly others I'm forgetting struggled mightily until putting it all together in year 3 or 4 of their respective careers. If he can get over the drops, MVS will be an absolute monster.
Some guys take a little time to get it right.

The drops are one thing and I completely agree there, but he’s also not a crisp route runner and not consistent in getting separation

Back