WST.net College Football Top 18 and Bottom Four

Crease Creature

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There was a bit of moving and shaking going on last weekend at the top of college football. Some teams have shown that they are who I thought they were. Starting next week we can start talking playoffs, as a whole bunch of teams will become bowl eligible this weekend.

Kidding, I'm not going to start talking my 16 team bracket in October.

Let's take a look at how things stack up in my rankings, and let's hope we can get this done before Clemson kicks off in a couple of hours!

1. Clemson - not a super impressive showing against Wake Forest, but I think I can allow a little let down after the previous week's game at VT. I wasn't sure that Syracuse actually had a conference affiliation yet, so I guess this is a mini-bye before a somewhat daunting schedule (GT, @ NCST, FSU). (last: 1)
  2. Alabama - not a good sign when your head coach, the Field Marshal of College Football, has to come out and say the team is buying too much into its own hype. Maybe he has a point: the Tide really struggled at times against A&M. (last: 2)
  3. Washington - I lost my notes on the Huskies this week, so they get to stay here. Call it administrative error. (last: 3)
  4. Georgia - Vanderbilt has been another one of those sneaky decent teams this year, and the Bulldogs drove up to Tennessee and just ran roughshod over the Commodores. (last: 5)
  5. Penn State - a convincing win over a shared opponent gives Penn State (who won on the road) the bump over Wisconsin this week. Though it's never a good thing when your Heisman candidate is completely shut down through three quarters and doesn't get anything going until the game is well in hand. (last: 7)
  6. Wisconsin - since the Freedom Trophy has been inaugurated, the only time it's spent in Lincoln is when the Badgers bring it on game-day. Taylor looks really good running the ball, but you'd hope that Hornibrook would have fixed his noodle arm by now. (last: 6)
  7. TCU - now alone the top of the BigXII, the horned frogs had a back and forth affair with West Virginia at home but pulled out the victory. There's still a chance for my Cowboys to get into the conference championship. (last: 9)
  8. Ohio State - the strength of schedule certainly took a hit, but getting to play Rutgers and Maryland in back to back weeks of B1G play certainly helps ones appearances. One more gimme (a trip to Nebraska) and then the conference slate toughens up (PSU, @Iowa, MSU). (last: 8)
  9. Washington State - rolling into Eugene and coming out with a 23 point victory is something that wasn't conceivable for most teams just 2 years ago. Don't get caught looking ahead to the Apple Bowl this week when you go down to Berkeley. (last: 10)
  10. Auburn - pounding the other team from Mississippi this week, Auburn keeps moving up in my estimation. Other than the hiccup with Mercer the week after playing at Clemson, these guys have scored a lot of points. Three straight road games loom before a home date with Georgia. (last: 13)
  11. Oklahoma State - inactive
  12. Miami - this is quickly turning into a season that Florida State will wish was entirely wiped out by hurricanes, as any chance of national relevance in 2017 was taken away with a late rally by Miami (also called the Hurricanes). (last: 15)
  13. USC - congrats guys, despite reports to the contrary, you got Gary Anderson fired. I do hope that he finds a nice, small, position coaching job somewhere. A head coach he is not. (last: 14)
  14. Notre Dame - the contract to play five ACC games every year doesn't look as bad now as it did when the deal was made. (last: 17)
  15. San Diego State - caught the game, they convinced me that they're good enough. Hosting Boise State this weekend. (last: 18)
  16. Virginia Tech - lackluster performance up at BC last weekend, maybe you haven't recovered from that Clemson game yet. (last: 16)
  17. Michigan State - lots of fun stats tossed around this week about how Brady Hoke had a better record against MSU and OSU at this point in his tenure than Jim Harbaugh. Dantonio is now 8-3 against Michigan (whose SOS took a massive hit and therefore has dropped out until they play and beat a real team again). I do think the Spartans would roll through this next team, which is why they're here and not further down. (last: NR)
  18. North Carolina State - back to back impressive wins for Coach Doeren, this time downing Louisville at home. Congrats Coach. (last: NR)
Next in Line: So. Flo., UCF, OU,
Newcomers: MSU, NCST
Dropped Out: Michigan, Oklahoma (see below!)

The Bottom Four
127. OU -- rofl(
128. Kansas -- if you took the over, congrats. You won! TT got you 80% of the way there.
129. the NCAA -- after 7 years, we've determined that even though we are absolutely positive, and have indisputable evidence that NC basketball players were committing academic fraud, it's ok! because that academic fraud was readily available to the entire student body. What a freaking joke of an organization.
130. Baylor (may not win a game until Nov 4) / Louisville Basketball --somehow both programs are still active

Climbed out of the Pit: LSU (at Florida's expense)
Welcome to Hel!: OU
Mired in the Acheron: the NCAA

Seeing Doeren do well at NC State is nice. He's a great guy, and will develop a solid program. He's part of the Wisconsin defensive coaching system that's worked so well at the U, and wherever these guys go.

I like it when there's no Florida State, Miami, and U Florida in the mix near the top. I hate seeing guys signing autographs with an "X."

Whoa, glad I got this posted when I did. Friday night was not good to the favorites.

Clemson may never play on a Friday night again.

Back