WST.net College Football Top 16 and Bottom Two!

Crease Creature

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Another season, another three months of me spending a couple hours each Wednesday evening putting together my College Football poll.

Anybody who would want to is welcome to participate, and I don't care how many teams you rank. This week I only did 16, and didn't do a bottom group like I've done before. You can send me your top 3, or 11, or 34, or whatever. It's fun to have others contribute! You can send your list to me on here, at my email (mhslegionaire @ hotmail . com), on Twitter, I don't care. Including teams for The Pit™ is optional

On to the Poll!

The Top Sixteen
  1. Wisconsin-Hornibrook is going to win the Heisman
  2. Clemson-two out of three games against serious opponents, whupped reigning Heisman winner on the road
  3. Oklahoma-hurts to put the sooners anywhere on this list, but Mayfield is legit. I wouldn't have apologized.
  4. Alabama-A good first win over Florida State at a neutral site (the above two times have true road wins), but not as defensively dominant in their two follow up games. May not be tested again until late October.
  5. Oklahoma State-putting up points is their specialty, stopping people is not, but did have a greater margin of victory on the road against Pitt than Penn State did at home.
  6. USC-are they back? Wins over Stanford and Texas don’t mean what they used to a year or two ago
  7. Penn State-putting up 50+ impresses me, are they the team to beat in the East? Let’s see how they handle Saturday’s trip to Iowa City
  8. Mississippi State-beating LSU early in the season must be nice. Not sure how the Tigers are supposed to stack up this year, but it’s a win against a perennial conference contender.
  9. Washington-the best team they’ve faced thus far is Rutgers on the road…but they travel to Boulder, CO for a tilt against the 3-0 Buffalos for their first real match-up of the season.
  10. Ohio State-I gotta put them somewhere ahead of the next slate of teams, despite the loss to OU. The Bucknuts don’t have another serious game (probably) until Halloween weekend.
  11. Michigan—I think the boys in Blue are just behind Ohio State at this point. A nice, neutral site win over Florida, but serious trouble dealing with Cincinnati and Air Force the subsequent weeks. A nice visit to Purdue before the little brothers come calling in October.
  12. Georgia—beating Notre Dame on the road is more impressive than beating West Virginia
  13. Virginia Tech—beating West Virginia at home is more impressive than beating Arkansas at home
  14. TCU-giving Arkansas another “L” works for me. #Karma
  15. Washington State—likewise for Oregon State
  16. San Diego State University—wins over Arizona State (#Karma again) and Stanford are likable and deserve to be higher up the list. I just didn’t come across their data until I was looking closer at Stanford’s schedule.
Programming Note: Florida State is ranked in a lot of places, but you have to win a game first before you can be put anywhere other than the Pit of Shame™, which only makes a guest appearance this week (since Kansas won a game! (and I haven't done any other research)).

The Bottom Two

129. Nebraska--rofl( I hope that $800k was worth it. See you in three weeks.
130. Baylor--this is your semi-regular reminder that Baylor should not be fielding a football team this season, or have an active program. That said, you are 0 and 3, having lost to the powerhouse programs Liberty, UTSA (I have a friend who played for and now coaches for them!), and Duke. Good luck getting out with OU, K-State, and Ok State as your next three. You may not win a game until Nov. 4 at Kansas.

I don't know. The Badgers win the national championship. Hornibrook wins Heisman. Santa Claus is real, and he's stopping at my house to pick up my list so he can give me everything I've ever wanted? Hell yeah! I like that optimism.

I wouldn't pick the Badgers as #1 in the nation at this point, but in all honesty, I don't count them out of being in the playoffs at the end of the year. It depends on how well they play over the entire schedule, because to get into the playoffs, they'd have to be unbeaten. It's awfully easy to be beaten by another Big 10 team, because the nucleus is there in so many of them that on a given day, they can put it all together and be David slaying Goliath.

I like the little insights. Great job CC!

Wisconsin isn't number 1 and I am a Badger homer... get'em off there. It's Alabama and Clemson...BIG drop and then everyone else.

You're welcome to submit your own poll to me to be incorporated

Just be warned, my vote for #1 counts 100 times :)

Reactions: TW
I have a friend who's a Nebraska grad. He lives in Omaha, and has had Husker season tickets since he graduated. He has more school garb than anyone I know, and he even eats the same breakfast every game day morning, at the same restaurant, that he has for nearly 20 years. It brings them "luck," he told me. I was talking to him a couple of days ago, and he said the restaurant was closing. The area was deteriorating, and people were reluctant to go there.

He told me that the worst thing Nebraska ever did was join the Big 10. They only had two or three games a year that were tough in the past, but now, every darned conference game is a battle.

Even a bad school in the Big 10 could be pretty good nationally. Not sure about the Huskers this year.

I have a friend who's a Nebraska grad. He lives in Omaha, and has had Husker season tickets since he graduated. He has more school garb than anyone I know, and he even eats the same breakfast every game day morning, at the same restaurant, that he has for nearly 20 years. It brings them "luck," he told me. I was talking to him a couple of days ago, and he said the restaurant was closing. The area was deteriorating, and people were reluctant to go there.

He told me that the worst thing Nebraska ever did was join the Big 10. They only had two or three games a year that were tough in the past, but now, every darned conference game is a battle.

Even a bad school in the Big 10 could be pretty good nationally. Not sure about the Huskers this year.

My neighbors across the road are both Huskers grads, and they were initially excited about the opportunity to see Nebraska every other year. Then they actually had to sit through those Nebraska games at Camp Randall.

As to your friend, he's not wrong. I never thought Nebraska was a good fit for the conference, they were just so pissed off at Texas that they were going to go anywhere else to get away.

I see Nebraska fired their AD, Shawn Eichorst today. The guy who gave Riley the contract extension as head coach. I think they're going to hire a new AD and Riley gets the axe at this end of this year, if not before.

They haven't been happy since Tom Osborne left the program. To be honest, what they've got now, they've earned because they think they should be mentioned in the same breath as any of the traditionally top level teams. Nothing could be further from the truth. In the old days they played three real games a year, and a bunch of patsies.

It's going to take over a decade to get their program back on track. The only thing that helps is that Nebraska kids want to be play there, and there's some good ones.

You mentioned Texas. There's nothing I like more than watching them wonder why they don't have the kind of teams they had n the past. Gee! Playing competition now makes a difference! They don't get it.

You can flip Georgia and Mississippi State, that game wasn't even close. Penn state barley beat Iowa and looks overrated to me. As much as I love Bucky Crease they are not a top 5 team yet. Next 3 weeks will tell us a lot.

I see Nebraska fired their AD, Shawn Eichorst today. The guy who gave Riley the contract extension as head coach. I think they're going to hire a new AD and Riley gets the axe at this end of this year, if not before.

They haven't been happy since Tom Osborne left the program. To be honest, what they've got now, they've earned because they think they should be mentioned in the same breath as any of the traditionally top level teams. Nothing could be further from the truth. In the old days they played three real games a year, and a bunch of patsies.

It's going to take over a decade to get their program back on track. The only thing that helps is that Nebraska kids want to be play there, and there's some good ones.

You mentioned Texas. There's nothing I like more than watching them wonder why they don't have the kind of teams they had n the past. Gee! Playing competition now makes a difference! They don't get it.

Eichorst messed up firing Bo for Riley. Huskers need to go get a guy like Gary Patterson at TCU and give him 5 years hands off. That offense and style would give the Big Ten west fits including UW. Riley is just like GA, joke hire.

Eichorst messed up firing Bo for Riley. Huskers need to go get a guy like Gary Patterson at TCU and give him 5 years hands off. That offense and style would give the Big Ten west fits including UW. Riley is just like GA, joke hire.

I totally agree. The Horned Frogs offense would hurt a lot of Big 10 teams, because of the way it's used. He would be a good fit, considering the type of players they can recruit are often a lot like you see at TCU as well. That would help.

I see Osborne has given up his box in the sky, stating the school can make money off it. I think he's saying he'd just as well stay at home and watch bits and pieces of their games while taking a nap!

Back