WRs

eyecatcher

Reaction score
With all the talk about Jordy and Cobb and what to do with them it got me thinking. There are some solid players available at the position in Free Agency this year. Landry, Josh Gordon, Sammy Watkins to name a few. I'd love to see Landry here but I think his price tag will be a bit too high. I'm intrigued by Watkins. He's a freakish athlete and has the talent to be a stud receiver in the league. With his last couple years stats though he may not break the bank. Josh Gordon is another one that has piqued my interest. Outstanding receiver but a head case. High risk, high reward that I can't imagine would break the bank either. I could see letting both Cobb and Jordy go to get one of these three guys and then drafting a WR.

What are your thoughts on the free agent WRs out there?

With all the talk about Jordy and Cobb and what to do with them it got me thinking. There are some solid players available at the position in Free Agency this year. Landry, Josh Gordon, Sammy Watkins to name a few. I'd love to see Landry here but I think his price tag will be a bit too high. I'm intrigued by Watkins. He's a freakish athlete and has the talent to be a stud receiver in the league. With his last couple years stats though he may not break the bank. Josh Gordon is another one that has piqued my interest. Outstanding receiver but a head case. High risk, high reward that I can't imagine would break the bank either. I could see letting both Cobb and Jordy go to get one of these three guys and then drafting a WR.

What are your thoughts on the free agent WRs out there?

Gordon because of being suspended so long will only have 3 accrued seasons so Browns can put the exclusive rights free agent tag on him. Gordon then in 2019 would be a RFA and then be finally after 8 seasons be a UFA after the 2020 season but then would be facing a NFL strike/lockout during his UFA.

Watkins because he’s been a disappointment and cost should be reasonable. He’d be effective on those quick hitters MM has loved so well recently. My guess is he stays in LA though.

I don't think I'm interested in someone else's head case to be honest. We had enough of that with a TE this year. Bennett made me gun shy about anyone with baggage.

I don't think I'm interested in someone else's head case to be honest. We had enough of that with a TE this year. Bennett made me gun shy about anyone with baggage.
I don't disagree but this is a different type of baggage.

I don't disagree but this is a different type of baggage.

As good as Josh Gordon is, I'd never sign him. Watkins has two straight years where he wasn't used much. Why? That would be my first question before putting too much money into him. Jarvis Landry - Sign the beast! He may well be the real deal, along the lines of a Moss type receiver, who can lull you to sleep, then put you to sleep!

I just don't think any of it will ever happen. Landry will stay put, or end up in a high profile city setting with a record breaking contract, or he stays put and owns the scene in Miami.

Gordon is one traffic stop away from being out of the league forever. You only add him as a 5th or 6th WR, your group has to be such that if you lose him it doesn't make a difference. I think if we're adding a WR in FA it should be someone who can come in and be a steady top 3 player.

Gordon is one traffic stop away from being out of the league forever. You only add him as a 5th or 6th WR, your group has to be such that if you lose him it doesn't make a difference. I think if we're adding a WR in FA it should be someone who can come in and be a steady top 3 player.
Flip side- You could get away with offering him a contract with hardly anything but incentives. It would be a one year prove it opportunity to play with the best QB in the league. You can't deny his Uber talents! Behavior clauses would protect the team. We talk about getting to the Super Bowl and this could be a no risk shot at that goal. Personally, I would love to see Gute take a flier on him. Gordon came in after over a year off and was dominant again. We're not going to give him anything without him earning it.

The other thing is, we've had a lot of pot busts recently. Whatever is going on in the locker room, I'm not sure this is the right place for him to succeed.

Dubz this sounds like "Bad Moon Rison" type of offseason, that didn't work out too bad.

Back