Wrestling: Horwath ready to step in

BuckySaunders

Reaction score
Horwath-150x150.jpg

MADISON – Brock Horwath left quite the impression at last Saturday’s Red/White Dual at the UW Fieldhouse.

When Badgers head coach Barry Davis and redshirt junior TJ Ruschell were asked to list performances that stood out to them, both included Horwath.

“It’s just good that I took what we worked on in practice and put it into the match,” Horwath said. “I think that’s probably what they are looking at the most.”

The redshirt senior topped freshman Ben Stone by technical fall in their heavyweight bout. The caliber of the 15-0 performance was not lost on Ruschell.

“Brock … putting up a bunch of points is huge, for sure.” Ruschell said.

Davis saw something new from his projected starter at heavyweight.

“Brock Horwath was probably the biggest surprise,” Davis said. “He did a trip that I had never seen him do before, which was unbelievable. That was a surprise there.”

Horwath is 36-13 in four seasons wrestling unattached and in open tournaments, including a 10-2 mark last year. He has spent the last few seasons behind Connor Medbery, a three-time NCAA qualifier and 2015 All-American.

The two faced off in the 2014 and 2013 scrimmages, with Medbery winning by scores of 8-3 and 4-1, respectively.

However, with Medbery taking an Olympic redshirt this season, the Stillwater, Minn. product who says he has “wanted to be a Badger since I was a little kid” stands poised to get his chance.

“In past years we’ve had Connor and he’s just a killer out there,” Horwath said. “Now I have my shot and I think it’s time to do what I need to do.”

While titles aren’t won based on performances at intrasquad scrimmages, Horwath’s solid showing on Saturday is especially encouraging considering the shoes he is being asked to fill in his final collegiate season.

Horwath wants to be a contributing member of team that makes noise at both the Big Ten and NCAA Championships.

“We have the team to do it, so we have to place high up,” Horwath said. “As long as everyone can work and do what they need to do, we should be fine. We have a stellar squad right now.”

As for his individual goals, Horwath has his sights set on the national level.

“I want to place, if not win it,” Horwath said. “Have to set them high, right?”

The post Wrestling: Horwath ready to step in appeared first on Madtown Badgers.

Continue reading...

Back