With Their Pick in Round 4 GB Selects Jake Ryan ILB Michigan

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
STRENGTHS
Transitioned from outside to inside in 2014. Highly productive downhill tackler. Has burst to the ball. Gap-responsible and tackles through his targets. Possesses straight-line speed to chase from sideline to sideline. Second-effort worker. Good in zone coverage. Team captain. Known as a prolific film-eater who spent hours studying and learning offensive tendencies with defensive coordinator. Can play multiple linebacker spots and can fit in just about every scheme.
WEAKNESSES
Can become a block magnet and stays wired for too long before disengaging. Despite the film work, still needs to improve on diagnosing and reacting quicker from inside. Very average lateral movement and footwork. Plays through a straw and is a little tight when asked to change directions. Overly aggressive. Breaks down in space a shade late and will miss tackles because of it. Suffered a torn ACL, causing him to miss action in 2013.
DRAFT PROJECTION
Round 4 or 5
NFL COMPARISON
Desmond Bishop
BOTTOM LINE
He's got the size, physicality and commitment to film work to play inside, but his instincts still need work. Ryan is a little stiff and stays blocked for too long, but his disengagement from blocks will improve with more reps inside. Faster than quick, he is scheme versatile and can fit inside or at the SAM linebacker spot in a 4-3. Ryan's productivity comes from toughness, play demeanor and physical tools. Teams could pigeonhole him as a "try-hard" linebacker, but they shouldn't.

Nothing more than another depth player. AJ Hawk was better than what this guy is. At least Ted is consistent and stays with using this draft to build depth

Last edited:
Ryan is a run stopping g monster. Probably shouldn't be on field in passing downs. With the roster construct and the amount we dime why would he be.. works for me ch(

@ByRyanWood: Wolf says he sees Jake Ryan as a three-down, inside linebacker. Fills what is an obvious need for #Packers.

I like this pick. Fills a need and since we play that damn NASCAR package so much he won't be in every down anyway.

Not unhappy with this pick. He has a chance to start. I'd have preferred a better coverage type ILB, but Ryan is more athletic than people think. His combine numbers were very comparable to McKinney. While he's said to be a bit stiff, he ran very competitive 3-cone and short shuttle. I don,t foresee a superstar, but I think the Desmond Bishop comparison if true would be solid.

he's a solid 4th rounder. he'll start out as depth but I think he can contribute in time.

Best pick of the day , He fills in that ILB rotation and can stop the run early. If Bradford can contribute we might be ok as is. FCC(

Back