wisconsinsportstalk.net
Ohio State Overview
• Graduated with his degree in social work
• 2020 team captain
• Second-team All-American in 2020 by the Sporting News
• Rimington Trophy finalist as the nation’s best center
• First-team all-Big Ten Conference as chosen by the coaches in 2020
• Started 21 of his final 22 games as a Buckeye
• Ohio State ranked eighth nationally in rushing in 2020 with 256.9 yards per game and ranked fifth in 2019 with 266.8 yards per game
• Had a breakout season in his first year as a starter in 2019, playing over 900 offensive snaps
• Helped lead the way for Ohio State’s first-ever 2,000-yard running back, J.K. Dobbins, and Heisman Trophy finalist Justin Fields (51 total touchdowns)
• The Buckeyes finished in the top 10 nationally in total offense (529.9 yards/game), rushing offense (266.8 yards/game) and scoring offense (46.9 points/game)
• Named a “champion” by the Ohio State coaching staff nine times in 2019 and was the Player of the Game following a win over Maryland
• A second-team All-Big Ten choice by the media
• Redshirted as a true freshman in 2017 and was the back up to All-American Michael Jordan in 2018
• Was one of 10 recruits from the class of 2017 to enroll in classes at Ohio State in January 2017 and thus take part in spring drills

Honors and Awards
2020:
Second-team All-American (Sporting News)
Rimington Trophy semifinalist
First-team All-Big Ten (coaches)
2019:
Second team All-Big Ten (media)

More on Josh
• Majoring in sport industry
• Myers, a unanimous 4-star offensive lineman, committed to Ohio State as a sophomore after initially receiving a scholarship offer from Ohio State as a freshman
• The No. 1 player in the state was rated as the No. 3 guard in the nation (Scout), the No. 2 guard by Rivals and the No. 6 guard by ESPN
• Overall, Myers was listed as the No. 54 player by 247Sports, No. 55 by Rivals and No. 57 by Scout
• The U.S. Army All-American was a first-team Associated Press Division II all-state pick as a junior and senior and helped coach Steven Channell’s Miamisburg teams to a 34-12 four-year record and four state playoff appearances

An Athletic Family
• Myers’ family is full of athletes: his mother, Julie, is in the University of Dayton athletics hall of fame as a basketball player
• His father, Brad, was an offensive lineman at the University of Kentucky between 1984-87
• His brother, Zach, capped his career as a Kentucky Wildcat in 2016

I've defended this team's draft strategy in the past, but I swear they just love being contrarians and trolling the naysayers. Not a fan of spending a 2nd round pick on a Center. I don't see the value and if anything, this was the year to trade up for either a Tackle or WR, with so many quality ones available.

Instead we just sat on our hands (when we don't have enough cap room for 10 drafted players anyways), and drafted a non-premium position player where in the past we've had success finding guys in the 5th round and beyond. The casual fan outrage is being earned again.

Played mostly guard in high school (in Miamisburg, Ohio) and in his first two seasons for the Buckeyes before starting all 21 games at center in 2019 and ’20.

“He will be a starter,” one scout said. “The center position is smart, tough, reliable, and he’s all of those things. He’s a solid player across the board. No flash to him, but he’ll be a reliable player.”

Underwent turf toe surgery in January.

“He gets knocked back every once in a while, but all in all, he’s a good prospect,” said another scout. “Loves the game of football. Good with his snaps. He’s got size. He’s a technician. He knows how to turn guys.”

Has short arms (32 inches).

“Very limited,” a third scout said. “Slow. Not flexible at all. Top heavy. Limited-type backup.”

I've defended this team's draft strategy in the past, but I swear they just love being contrarians and trolling the naysayers. Not a fan of spending a 2nd round pick on a Center. I don't see the value and if anything, this was the year to trade up for either a Tackle or WR, with so many quality ones available.

Instead we just sat on our hands (when we don't have enough cap room for 10 drafted players anyways), and drafted a non-premium position player where in the past we've had success finding guys in the 5th round and beyond. The casual fan outrage is being earned again.
He's not even a day one starting center. I think he's a project who will be a backup which you already drafted a backup project center last year that spent the year on the PS.

I think he is a possible Day 1 starter. No guarantees, but possible. They feel he can play Guard as well, so they picked another versatile OL. That’s becoming a trademark for them.
I honestly felt Center was more important than OT, because it helps maintain continuity at other OL positions.
If he can be an early starter it will minimize having to shuffle other people along the OL.

Meyers was a guy Gute likes because he is verstatile and can play anywere inside the OL. Typical GB pick they rather go with guys who might be ok at different spots on the OL instead of great at one spot on the OL.

(when we don't have enough cap room for 10 drafted players anyways)

The only way they don't have room for 10 draft picks is if a more than 2 of those picks are in the first 2 rounds. The CAP impact of guys in the 3rd - 7th rounds is pretty minimal, like NFL vet minimum. As you sign those picks, existing contracts at the bottom fall off the CAP since only the top 51 contracts count against the CAP. It's estimated that the entire 10 man draft class will count about $2.5mil against the CAP and almost all of that is in the first 2 picks.

That said, I agree that they should have used some of that draft capital to move up for an OT in Rd2.

One of these players just made the pro bowl and is raved about by everyone, and one of them is already written off as an overreach. sh))
4EAFAC16-DB53-4919-BCAB-619522319F3B.jpeg71174AC7-0AE9-4F11-96D4-DCD143C69EFC.jpeg

Back