Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Honors and Awards
2020:
First-team All-Big Ten (coaches), second-team All-Big Ten (media), Academic All-Big Ten
2019: Second-team All-America (CBS Sports), second-team All-Big Ten (consensus), Academic All-Big Ten
2018: Academic All-Big Ten
2017: Academic All-Big Ten

Notable: Rated as nation's highest-graded offensive tackle for 2018 season by Pro Football Focus (90.4)

Career: Played in 45 games with 19 starts at left tackle ... graduated in December 2020 with bachelor’s degree in personal finance

2020 Season: Earned fourth letter, playing in 5 games with 5 starts at left tackle ... missed final 2 games of season due to injury ... helped Badgers rank third nationally, and first among Power Five teams, in PFF Pass Blocking Efficiency rating (95.0)

2019 Season: Earned third letter, playing in 13 games with 13 starts at left tackle ... anchored offensive line that paved way for Jonathan Taylor to repeat as unanimous first-team All-American and Doak Walker Award winner and post second consecutive 2,000-yard rushing season

2018 Season: Earned second letter, playing in all 13 games with 1 start ... made first career start at left tackle vs. New Mexico on Sept. 8 ... key to rushing attack that led the Big Ten and ranked No. 6 nationally, averaging 273.4 yards per game … helped Badgers average 6.2 yards per rushing attempt, the fourth-best mark nationally … blocked for Doak Walker Award winner and unanimous first-team All-American Jonathan Taylor, who rushed for 2,194 yards to lead the nation in rushing

2017 Season: Earned first letter, playing in 14 games ... made Badgers debut vs. Utah State on Sept. 1

2016 Season: Redshirt season

High School: Four-star prospect by 247 Sports, ESPN, Rivals and Scout … invited to 2016 U.S. Army All-American Bowl … two-time first-team all-state by Wisconsin Football Coaches Association and Associated Press as a junior and senior … two-time Fox River Classic Conference Offensive Lineman of the Year and first-team All-FRCC selection … second-team All-FRCC as a sophomore … team captain and team MVP as a senior … swept discus and shot put titles at 2015 Wisconsin Division 1 state meet as a junior … finished state runner-up in both discus and shot put as a sophomore … high school coach was Gary Westerman

Personal: Parents are Thomas and Angie Van Lanen … father swept Wisconsin Division 2 state titles in discus and shot put in 1994

Van Lanen. The new Tauscher? Fingers crossed. But, a Guard, not tackle.

He's going to be ready to pop some pads when he hits camp. Hell! His workouts can be at Lambeau if he decides to spend his time in GB. I want to see him make it. I like that Home Town Boy scenario playing out when it can.

Fingers crossed!

I think he might be a longshot to make the team and more likely a guy who ends up on the PS.

Nice!! I had him mocked to the Packers in Rd. 6

Reactions: TW
I'd love to see him make it as well. Was a little odd at UW that he didn't really seem to make the jump after his sophomore year. Hopefully he at least makes the practice squad and gets a chance to develop and provide some depth going forward.

Green Bay native Cole Van Lanen said #Packers' call, from a familiar 920 number, came up as "scam likely" on his phone. It wasn't scam, of course. "I saw it was a Green Bay number, answered it, and I just couldn't believe it was Brian Gutekunst and Matt LaFleur."

Green Bay native Cole Van Lanen said #Packers' call, from a familiar 920 number, came up as "scam likely" on his phone. It wasn't scam, of course. "I saw it was a Green Bay number, answered it, and I just couldn't believe it was Brian Gutekunst and Matt LaFleur."
Great story!

Back