With Their 3rd Pick GB Selects Oren Burks OLB Vanderbilt

For a linebacker, he is incredibly fluid in coverage. Good hips, good speed, natural in coverage. I would say that for a linebacker he is ahead of the game there. Reads well in the run, but gets swallowed by blockers (pretty common judgement of weak side backers in the 3-4, similar things were said about Roquan Smith), and needs to work on his tackling form. He is a big bodied, but needs to put weight on.

If he can stay at 240/245 and do the things I see he'll be solid for a 3rd round pick.

I never heard of the guy before last tonight, but i like that:
He's really smart
Really athletic
Started out a safety so he should feel more natural in coverage than a typical linebacker
Has length to help in coverage
It hopefully relegates Jake "slow poke" Ryan into a spot player at best
How he'll hold up vs the run clearly is a big question. Still better then some UDFA from Holy roller state Ted would try to bring in.

Hopefully they use him more for coverage than the run....

DraftScout rated him as a 3rd round pick.
Mayock ranked him #79 on his Big Board.

He played 3 different positions in 3 years at Vandy, so he's a work in progress, but he has a lot of physical talent/upside, he's very smart, and he's a high character/leader type.

Martinez is strong at defending the run. Burks (hopefully) helps with defending the pass in the middle of the field (an achilles heel for years for GB).

I can't argue with this pick at all.

I hope you guys are right. It's nice that so many people have confidence in this pick. He's an intelligent kid with good football savvy. That goes a long way towards making a solid player. I get so tired of seeing guys hit the field that just plain never measure up from an effort stand point. They do well on one play, then dog it on the next. It's like all that matters to them is their personal stats, nothing on a team level.

Thanks, Hearty! That was a much better tape. The play where he jumped up to knock down the pass, but intercepted it at the LOS and almost scored was incredible! Looks like his speed makes for some decent pass-rush skills as well. Maybe Pettine and Gute know what they are looking for after all.

All the grades I’ve seen for this draft have been very high. I know...grades now mean nothing. But we’d all be really upset if everybody was saying Green Bay had a horrible draft.

Another video about this guy, seems very intelligent, humble, down to earth, active. Good leadership qualities.

On the field, the measurables compare to Eric Kendricks, they even compare very favorably to Bobby Wagner. Instincts make a ILB so we'll see how that turns out but this guy can legit go sideline to sideline.

Another video about this guy, seems very intelligent, humble, down to earth, active. Good leadership qualities.

On the field, the measurables compare to Eric Kendricks, they even compare very favorably to Bobby Wagner. Instincts make a ILB so we'll see how that turns out but this guy can legit go sideline to sideline.

What a neat young man. Way ahead of his age. That's very cool to see all that he's involved in. I can't wait to see him on the field.

i love the way in his vids that he is so disciplined. He is rarely out of position. He isn't involved in every play, but that's because he maintains his lane. But he always is keyed in on the play. The vid Mark posted with clips from the Bama game shows a guy who might not be strongest, but is football intelligent and knows his assignment.

This is still my favorite pick of the draft and the kid I'm most anxious to see on the field. If only we had a good vet ILB for him to learn from. If only this kid could have played with someone like Barnett....

he did play ILB for awhile at Vanderbilt.. So he's familiar.. If they really are looking for a better coverage guy then he fits.

I think he said that he was a LB in high school and was recruited as such. Then, he had to play S at Vanderbilt for a while. Then he was switched back to LB. He seems to do his very best at whatever he's told to do.

I really like this young man.

He's smart, he's versatile.

Last edited:
Back