With Pick 2 in Round 2 GB Selects Josh Jones Safety NC State

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Aa a RS-JUNIOR (2016):
• Worked at the free safety spot during spring drills.
As a RS-SOPHOMORE (2015):
• Third-leading tackler on the squad with 63 stops.
• Led the team in tackles in the season opener and at South Alabama.
As a RS-FRESHMAN (2014):
• Ranked second in the ACC in interceptions with four during his rookie campaign. That mark ranked 33rd nationally - fourth among freshman.
• That was the second-highest total ever for a Pack freshman.
• Earned honorable mention notice on CFN’s Freshman All-America team.
• Fifth-leading tackler on the Wolfpack squad, he started eight games at strong safety.
• Leading tackler against Boston College with 13. That mark was a season-high for the Pack.
• Made a huge interception to seal the victory at Syracuse.
As a FRESHMAN (2013):
• Redshirted the season, he worked at safety and linebacker.
In High School:
• Played safety and running back for coach Mike Zdebski.
• Team posted 9-3 record and advanced to the state quarterfinals.
• Senior Stats: 95 tackles and five interceptions, two fumbles returned for TDs; Rushed for 668 yards and 19 touchdowns; 303 receiving yards and four touchdowns.
• Junior Stats: 30 tackles and a pair of INTs.
• Rankings: No. 29 safety nationally and No. 15 recruit in Michigan by rivals.com.
• Personal: From the same high school as PK Kyle Bambard. Majoring in communication.

Big fast player who loves to hit. Ball skills too. I wonder if this means Burnett is gone after this year

z5k24Qa.png

Big fast player who loves to hit. Ball skills too. I wonder if this means Burnett is gone after this year

That I think you can bet on. Ted does not make this pick if he had plans to resign Burnett. This is Burnett's penciled in replacement for 2018.

Didn't see this one coming, but I like it. The Pack needed more speed in the secondary and we have it. We got bigger and faster. That's something that was a goal. We added talent and that is the goal.

I didn't spend much time looking at safeties. Just did not figure safety would be in the mix for the Pack. Burnett and HHCD are solid. Evans and Brice are speed guys who'll hit people so I figured we'd be OK there. Instead, I think what we are seeing is TT actually replacing guys who have been lost. Shields is gone - replaced with King. Hyde is gone - replaced with Jones.

According to the draft sites:

CBS
Josh Jones | SS, NC State Height: 6-1 Weight: 220I like Jones as a player, and he will help them get past the loss of Micah Hyde. B

S.I.
JOSH JONES, S, N.C. STATE
GRADE: B
The Packers keep stockpiling players in the secondary—Jones on top of earlier pick Kevin King. That loss to the Falcons in the NFC title game clearly stuck in their minds, as their banged-up secondary could not match up. Jones doesn’t necessarily have a clear path to playing time right away, but Morgan Burnett’s a soon-to-be free agent.

Walterfootball
Green Bay Packers: Josh Jones, S, N.C. State: A Grade
Here's another talented safety to go in the second round. Josh Jones is a very athletic player whom I had going off the board in the middle of the second round. The Packers are getting some solid value with Jones at this juncture. He also fills a need, as Green Bay lost Micah Hyde to free agency. He's a very nice replacement for Hyde.

Last edited:
I have a contact at NC State I can talk to, but my goodness, this guy's measurables...greedy)

That I think you can bet on. Ted does not make this pick if he had plans to resign Burnett. This is Burnett's penciled in replacement for 2018.
Because once again TT forgets about the "develop" part of draft and develop... Becasue who needs experienced veterans?

Because once again TT forgets about the "develop" part of draft and develop... Becasue who needs experienced veterans?

In this case I think it's that they're going to pay HaHa top dollar and don't want to pay Burnett top dollar too. They're not Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor back there.

They played Burnett a lot around the line and tried to do some stuff with joe Thomas and this guy is more of what they were looking to do with that. It's quickly becoming a new position in the league, that box S who can cover but also hits like a LB in space.

So what experienced Safety would you be referring to? You say that over and over and never mention the 'experienced' veterans names, just wondering who you have in mind?

Back