Wisconsin Sports Talk CFB Top 16 and Bottom Five (the "no f'ing way Iowa's a top five team" edition)

Crease Creature

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
...sigh...

Wisconsin losing to Northwestern, and the Pokes dropping one against Baylor has left me a little bummed out. Disclaimer: I would totally have been one of the people throwing snowballs at the officials at Camp Randall on Saturday.

That said, we are left with TWO undefeated teams at the D-IA level this week, and one of those teams is goddamed Iowa. I fully expect them to not be in the top four when the committee releases it's rankings, I really don't. There isn't a person in that room who should believe the Hawkeyes have a better resume at this point. Just for fun, I looked at the Sagarin rankings (used in the old BCS model) b/c I heard people on the radio last night talking about how nobody might be missing that more than Iowa right now, and the computers have Iowa at 17, having dropped from 12, with a 62nd ranked SOS.
And yet, the AP has Iowa at 3, as do the coaches, and Ferentz must have a vote because someone gave Iowa their first place pick.

You will find no such foolishness here.

1. Alabama (10-1)--dispatched 8th ranked FCS opponent Charleston Southern rather handedly. Auburn then Florida, and I imagine the winner of that last game gets in the playoff. Undoubtedly a better team than Iowa. (last: 1)
  2. Clemson (11-0)--also dispatched an opponent, but yours was ACC bottom feeder Wake Forest. You get South Carolina, who just lost to The Citadel, and then North Carolina for the conference. If SoCar wasn't having just an awful season, that would have landed them in the Bottom Five. Your record is better than Iowa's record. (last: 2)
  3. Notre Dame (10-1)(1 vote for first)--I don't know what it is about BC that gives top teams such fits. I'd have placed you lower if there were really anybody else to put here, but Cheesedog lobbied hard for your inclusion, so here you sit. The BigXII is really helping make sure you get a spot at the table. A better team than Iowa. (Last: 5)
  4. Oklahoma (10-1)--You had a big lead over TCU, and then watched it disappear in the 4th quarter only to have the Horned Frogs fall one point short. Realistically, you have the worst loss of the 1-loss BigXII teams, but it's one of those things where that loss came long enough ago (but Texas has looked just terrible since (and before, too)) that it doesn't seem to hurt you as much as it should. You win in Stillwater, and Baylor wins too, you guys would be co-champs. But you're the team that usually plays defense, so you get my bid. I don't like you, but I dislike Iowa more. (last: 4)
  5. Baylor (9-1)--A tough road win, but no tough defense from either team. You get one extra shot to make an impression with a Dec. 5 game against Texas. But you gotta take care of TCU this week first. For sure a better team than Iowa. (Last: 9)
  6. Michigan State (10-1)--have defeated both Michigan and Ohio State while never having had the lead at any point with time on the clock. Your inexplicable loss to Nebraska doesn't look so bad with OU's horrifying loss to Texas and Alabama's mystifying loss to Ole Miss just a couple spots ahead of you. I think another two wins (over Penn St and Iowa) might get you a spot should the BigXii slip up here at the end. You'll give the committee one more look at you (like Baylor) compared with OU. Probably a better team than Iowa. (Last: 10)
  7. Ohio State (10-1)--Michigan State has the inside track on the division, regardless of what you do against Michigan, and there is definitely a fracture in the locker room. I don't think I'd let Cardale Jones talk to anybody until the Combine. Spartans could slip up and let you back in the picture. Still a better team than Iowa. (last: 3)
  8. Florida (10-1)--you slip because good teams do not go into overtime with a 2-8 team from Conference USA (which gets decided on Friday with 9-2 W. Kent vs 9-2 Marshall). I don't know if you've got Florida State on the brain (b/c a loss would definitely put you out, even if you do beat Alabama) or what but that was not good. You're still a much better football team than Iowa. (last: 6)
  9. Navy (9-1)--I'm a sucker for a good story, and I think it's really good for college football to have one of the service schools doing really well. You still have to travel to Houston, and then you'd have the AAC title game before Army-Navy. And you are a better football team than Iowa. (Last: 12)
  10. Iowa (11-0)--you looked pretty sloppy against Purdue High School, I definitely shouldn't have bumped you up for beating Minnesota. Northwestern beating Wisconsin (at home) made your strength of schedule worse. You don't pass any eye test yet conceived by man. And yet, you are probably gonna pull some bullshit or something in the B1G title game and win. (last: 8)
  11. Michiagn (9-2)--Penn State is 7-4? I did not know that. At least there's no longer any conversation about you being ranked higher than Utah. Gonna beat Ohio State on Saturday? That'd be big for you guys. I'm pretty sure you're a better team than Iowa. (last: 11)
  12. Oklahoma State (10-1)--Talked to friends at the game and who watched the game and the consensus was the officiating was poor (kinda like the game I was watching), but still getting beat by 10 by Baylor at home was not good. I don't know if you were looking ahead to Bedlam (b/c I know that happens), but you still have a shot at the outright BigXII title. Beat OU and have Baylor lose to Texas and it's all yours. I don't know if you're a better team than Iowa, it's difficult to read this team this year. (last: 7)
  13. Stanford (9-2)--Is it just me or is the Pac-12 really kind of blah this year? Stanford beat a 6-4 Cal team, gets Notre Dame (which would really upset things) and then gets UCLA or Utah (UCLA just beat Utah 17-9 on the road to take the division lead on tie-breakers, but UCLA finishes with USC and Utah gets Colorado, so who knows.) for the Pac-12. I don't think there's any way Stanford can make the playoff, as a Notre Dame loss just opens the door for the B1G champ at this point. Stanford, you're probably the same as Iowa (and still alive in my playoff!). (last: 13)
  14. Florida State (9-2)--You've cheated a little bit (like Alabama has) by putting the cream puffs at the end. What I've seen this season though is that these easy teams at the end of the schedule don't seem to help prepare for the tough game the next week. You get Florida this week, so just go out there and have some fun. I think you'd beat Iowa 6 out of 10 times. (last: 15)
  15. North Carolina (10-1)--Like OU, 'bama, and Mich St, if that ugly loss to South Carolina had come in the last week or two instead of earlier in the season... it'd be game over for you guys. That said, teams on a mission don't get suckered into OT with a 5-5 VT team. So you get a drop. I feel like you're better than Iowa, but I'm not sure. (last: 14)
  16. Toledo (9-1)--I still have you on my poll, even though Northern Illinois (at 8-3) holds the tiebreaker over you for the division. They're up in tonight's MACtion with the Ohio Bobcats, and you need them to lose in order for your chance at the MAC's autobid to my football playoff. That said, you've beaten Arkansas, Iowa State (who has the #1 strength of schedule after last weekend (and is from Iowa!)), and the same Central Michigan team that beat NIU (who's also lost to BC). I think the Rockets would find an at-large bid for the playoffs, but we shall see. They've stuck to their end of our agreement every week this season except for one. (Last: 18)
Teams I want to put in but I don't' think they quite deserve it: Temple, UCLA (I know, last week I said they were unlikely to return, but both surprised me with good wins.)
Dropped Out (ne'er to return): TCU, Wisconsin
Help! I'm Falling: Houston

The Bottom Five
124. South Carolina (3-8)--
I know I said I wasn't going to put them here, but I don't want to pass up the opportunity to congratulate The Citadel on basically guaranteeing themselves a spot in the FCS playoff. They, hands down, own the best win in the FCS this season. At least that's what I've heard. Good job guys. Also, is this the bottom for SC? Or does NorCar just blow them out of the water on Saturday? (last: NR)
125. Iowa State (3-8)--Coach Rhodes was fired, but in true Cyclone fashion, they're letting him coach the last game. Never thought a coach would get fired in the same season they shut out Texas. This ranking is on the program, not on the team. (last: NR)
126. Duke (6-5)--It's like you got hit with a gypsy curse or something that night against Miami and the witch forgot to lift it. Four straight losses, this last one coming on the road at Virginia. (last: 126)
127. B1G Officiating--if there were a way to light the snowballs on fire, and then throw them at the officials, I would be on board. The Don, His Lord Alvarez, did release a letter saying he's disappointed and that we should be better than that, but he basically has to. Still no word from the Big Ten offices about the blown call. And here's how blown it was: in the Mich St/ OSU game, the MSU fullback catches the ball, turns and takes one step while falling, and the ball comes out of his hand upon finally landing on the ground (same kind of thing with the Dez Bryant "no catch" in the playoffs, but far more egregious). Ruling on the field is a touchdown, and there's no review. Peavy catches the ball, takes 5 steps, gets his knee down in bounds, rolls out of bounds, the ball moves but he doesn't drop it or lose possession. Reviewed as no touchdown. I'm not one to want things to favor the offense, but Jazz caught the ball. (last: burn, baby, burn)
128. Kansas (0-11)--Getting shutout by WVU at home, and giving up 42 points before halftime is never good. WVU could have scored 100 but Coach Holgorson has a soul (along with some crazy hair) and called off the Mountaineers early. It's not quite your worst loss of the season (by 59 to Baylor, 55 to OU, 39 to Texas, 3 to SoDak State) but it is your first time getting shut out this season. You guys are absolutely horrible, and probably aren't even competitive at the FCS level. I wonder if you'd even beat Whitewater or Oshkosh this year. Your football program has to just be hemorrhaging money. (last: 125)

Climbed out of the Pit: Ole Miss, Minnesota
Welcome to HELL! South Carolina, Iowa State, the B1G Conference
Lost in the Styx: Louisville
Treading the ninth Bolgia of the Inferno: ISIS

Teams Still Alive for an Auto-bid to Crease Creature's College Football Playoff:
Clemson, North Carolina, Navy, Houston, Temple, OU, Ok State, Baylor, Iowa, Michigan State, Ohio State, W. Kentucky, Marshall, Louisiana Tech, Southern Miss, Toledo, NIU, Bowling Green, Air Force, San Diego State, Stanford, UCLA, Utah, USC, Alabama, Florida, Arkansas State, Appalachian State, Georgia Southern.

Dropped Out: TCU, Wisconsin, Boise State, New Mexico, Nevada

Badgers can't play like last week and beat MN..... PC had better understand he loses that axe the heat is on. Iowa is beyond overrated. A loss in the big 10 title game and bowl game will bring them back to reality.

Nice list !

The heat will not be on PC if the team loses the Axe. The Badgers are not a good team this year because of poor recruiting the couple years prior. PC needs to turn it around in the next couple years though.

Iowa deserves the ranking they have. If the tables were turned and it was the Badgers with that record right now we be screaming they should be ranked number 1.

Badgers can't play like last week and beat MN..... PC had better understand he loses that axe the heat is on. Iowa is beyond overrated. A loss in the big 10 title game and bowl game will bring them back to reality.

Nice list !
I agree. I don't know what I will do if we don't have the Axe. I've been chirpping at my Minnesota friends for 12 years...

And thanks!

CFB Playoff update: I understand what the committee did, but I don't agree with it. Iowa is not a playoff team. That said, they've set it up so that the winner of the B1G gets in, assuming both teams win this weekend.

Agree that I don't think Iowa belongs, but you make a good point that assuming everyone wins this weekend, the winner of the B1G championship game likely gets in. I highly suspect that will not be Iowa. They have had a fortunate schedule and really should have lost to a very middling UW team. I just don't see them in the same light as I do a team like 'Bama who really handled UW. Maybe that game clouds my judgment regarding Iowa.

There is zero heat on PC no matter what happens in this game. Better UW teams than this one have lost to Minnesota. It's a rivalry game and after this many tries you figure the Goofers will get lucky one of these years. PC is here for 3-4 years, no matter what. BA (and the alums/boosters) will give him the honeymoon treatment until he has enough of his guys in the program to fairly evaluate what he can do. He needs to fix the o-line and find a stud RB recruit in the coming weeks and he should be OK. That he's managed to win the games he has is a credit to him and Aranda since this is the worst OL and RB group this team has had since the early 90's. (Worst RB group only because Clement has basically been MIA for pretty much 90% of the season.)

Back