Wisconsin Game Today: Wisconsin vs Notre Dame injury report, schedule, live Stream, TV channel and betting preview for Week 4 game

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
The Wisconsin football team is coming off of a bye in Week 3. Sitting at 1-1, the Badgers get an opportunity to show that they are a team to be taken seriously. They will take on the no. 12 Notre Dame Fighting Irish at Soldier Field today at 11:00 AM. Notre Dame will face the […]

Wisconsin Game Today: Wisconsin vs Notre Dame injury report, schedule, live Stream, TV channel and betting preview for Week 4 game - Badger of Honor - Badger of Honor - A Wisconsin Badgers Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more.

Continue reading...

Not sure what scheme you can run with this talent in Madison.
QB - trash. RB - Meh. WR - Meh. OL - Meh.

Mertz is playing poorly. The entire offense is bad. Teams with less are coached up and doing more. Everything but the defense is a mess.

What the hell did the offensive coaches do during the off season and what are they doing during the week?

Teams are licking their chops to play WI. We may not be bowling.

At least we have the band

Last edited:
As has been discussed the entire offense is disjointed. Wanted to add a few thoughts
  • I’m more and more convinced the offense is being watered down. I get the pistol scheme and such but the last time we saw pre snap motion, jet sweeps and TE screens was with Coan. We have run 3 “jets” all season but at almost 10 yds per carry
  • The TE screen was a staple in PC’s offense. It’s disappeared and you have an above average TE on the field.
  • Scheme is the least of my worries when your QB can’t protect the ball.
  • As bad and inconsistent as the WR are there were 3-4 “shots” that were open and none were even close. Pryor had 3 steps on a deep slant and would have walked in, Dike ran a nice out and up and Mertz sailed it to row 2, he had 4 yds separation
  • Prior to the 4th down stop, Pryor ran a quick out and had 1st down yards but Mertz was 3 counts late and was short. You have to throw that on schedule
  • Said it before but there was “noise” that Mertz was at best serviceable in camp. I usually chalk that up to noise but maybe just maybe there is something to it
  • I’m not going to bail on this group yet, it was a 13-10 lead before the kick return. Both losses have been to top 15 teams, it’s not like we crapped the bed vs Bowling Green. That said how this team responds at home vs Michigan Saturday will dictate the rest of the season.

As has been discussed the entire offense is disjointed. Wanted to add a few thoughts
  • I’m more and more convinced the offense is being watered down. I get the pistol scheme and such but the last time we saw pre snap motion, jet sweeps and TE screens was with Coan. We have run 3 “jets” all season but at almost 10 yds per carry
  • The TE screen was a staple in PC’s offense. It’s disappeared and you have an above average TE on the field.
  • Scheme is the least of my worries when your QB can’t protect the ball.
  • As bad and inconsistent as the WR are there were 3-4 “shots” that were open and none were even close. Pryor had 3 steps on a deep slant and would have walked in, Dike ran a nice out and up and Mertz sailed it to row 2, he had 4 yds separation
  • Prior to the 4th down stop, Pryor ran a quick out and had 1st down yards but Mertz was 3 counts late and was short. You have to throw that on schedule
  • Said it before but there was “noise” that Mertz was at best serviceable in camp. I usually chalk that up to noise but maybe just maybe there is something to it
  • I’m not going to bail on this group yet, it was a 13-10 lead before the kick return. Both losses have been to top 15 teams, it’s not like we crapped the bed vs Bowling Green. That said how this team responds at home vs Michigan Saturday will dictate the rest of the season.
I don't think they're using much of their playbook. It's as if they don't trust Mertz to make the pitches, and they don't trust the RBs to hang onto the ball, or read back cuts and holes. It's dink and dunk routes, and running inside both tackles - mostly running into the back of guards, and trying to gain yardage by pushing them forward.

I was discussing the jet sweep before. It's gone, for some reason. They only ran the motion related to it 3 times if I recall, during the game. In all three cases, it was obvious it wasn't going to be the play itself. Just a fake.

Rudolph and Chryst have a problem. It might even be themselves. I'm not in the slightest convinced that the two of them are capable of devising a good game plan. I have a hunch that losing Budmyer is part of the over all problem. I think he was more instrumental in the game plan, and play calling. He also worked with the QBs, and now we have Chryst doing it. Maybe Chryst can't instill confidence in his QBs? Ya never know.

Don't judge Budmyer's offensive coaching skills on the Colorado State results. Centeio isn't very good. He makes Mertz look like a shoe-in for the Heisman.

I'm not saying that Jon is the answer, but just a difference, which dealt with confidence for various players.

I don't think they're using much of their playbook. It's as if they don't trust Mertz to make the pitches, and they don't trust the RBs to hang onto the ball, or read back cuts and holes. It's dink and dunk routes, and running inside both tackles - mostly running into the back of guards, and trying to gain yardage by pushing them forward.

I was discussing the jet sweep before. It's gone, for some reason. They only ran the motion related to it 3 times if I recall, during the game. In all three cases, it was obvious it wasn't going to be the play itself. Just a fake.

Rudolph and Chryst have a problem. It might even be themselves. I'm not in the slightest convinced that the two of them are capable of devising a good game plan. I have a hunch that losing Budmyer is part of the over all problem. I think he was more instrumental in the game plan, and play calling. He also worked with the QBs, and now we have Chryst doing it. Maybe Chryst can't instill confidence in his QBs? Ya never know.

Don't judge Budmyer's offensive coaching skills on the Colorado State results. Centeio isn't very good. He makes Mertz look like a shoe-in for the Heisman.

I'm not saying that Jon is the answer, but just a difference, which dealt with confidence for various players.
Pre snap motion also gave the defense different looks. But you also need multiple personal groups to show different looks and that’s just not available.

My take is that player evaluation the past 3-4 classes is suspect. We are on our 3rd RB coach, 2nd or 3rd WR coach. Yep staff turnover

This is not a deep team at all especially on offense and has not been for a couple of years.

Evaluation and scheme adjustments to your talent is so critical. I give you Clemson. 4-5 star kids all over the board and the offense looks disjointed and lost

OL was flat out terrible yesterday in ways that had nothing to do w/ play calling and design. Missed assignments (be it picking up the wrong guy in pass pro or refusing to chip and release to 2nd level) aren't the fault of the passing game. Our OL got manhandled again and no they only looked okay vs Eastern.

Jim L has got to stop playing cover 2 and cover 3 vs teams with those kinds of receivers or your going to see this again.

As to Mertz he's another in long line of UW QB that is seeing ghosts because we can't pass pro worth spit, in the past a couple of stud RB evened that out. This season we have meh back there and PC can't fall back on that.

Our ST are anything but special, lose the Southern WI HS kickers and go recruit someone decent already.

@todd_bethe
·
2m

Where Wisconsin’s offense ranks nationally: Scoring offense: 19.0 (112th) Rushing offense: 202 ypg (33rd) Passing offense: 197 ypg (94th) Total offense: 399 ypg (68th) Turnover margin: -2.33 (last) 3rd down conversions: 27.6% (125th) Red zone scoring: 61.5% (126th

Back