Wisconsin Football: Russell Wilson is the Top QB in UW History

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Russell Wilson played one lone season for the Badgers and it makes him the best in Wisconsin football history. Wisconsin football has never been known for their quarterback talent, despite the success they have had as a school. Lately, the fanbase has been subjected to mediocre QB play in the past decade, but a little […]

Wisconsin Football: Russell Wilson is the Top QB in UW History - Badger of Honor - Badger of Honor - A Wisconsin Badgers Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more.

Continue reading...

You mean Randy Wright didn't make the cut!?!?

mediocre QB play in the past decade? Stave was fine so was Tolzein both were not mediocre. I get it, not Joe Burrow but were efficient and won games. Be careful what you wish for

Heck!
I used to attend games when Rufus Ferguson was running

The Road Runner was pretty darned good. He set the Badger record for yardage, and the guy that followed him, Billy Marek, broke the record. They gave the Badgers respectability during the 70s.

My first Badger game was back in the 50s. I think... '52. The Badgers played Penn State. They hammered them! The era of The Iron Horse. Alan Ameche. I watched him carrying guys five yards nearly every time he got the ball. The man was an animal! The best pure power running back I've ever seen, and was listed as over 220#, but was lucky to go 200. "Him strong like bull!" A line I heard in a movie years ago, and every time I hear it, I see Ameche. Damn! He was good!

My first Badger game was back in the 50s. I think... '52. The Badgers played Penn State. They hammered them! The era of The Iron Horse. Alan Ameche. I watched him carrying guys five yards nearly every time he got the ball. The man was an animal! The best pure power running back I've ever seen, and was listed as over 220#, but was lucky to go 200. "Him strong like bull!" A line I heard in a movie years ago, and every time I hear it, I see Ameche. Damn! He was good!

Reactions: TW
Sorry... he's 3rd in my book behind these two.

Joel Stave, 2012-15
The school’s all-time wins leader with 31 victories in 41 starts, Stave is polarizing because of his inconsistencies as a passer and receiving a lot of those victories in large part to a Wisconsin running game that included Montee Ball, Melvin Gordon, James White and others during his tenure.

Regardless, Stave overcame his original walk-on status, a pair of coaching changes, the yips and his faults to be a proven team leader during his tenure. His 7,635 passing yards is second in school history, as are his 48 touchdown passes. Stave threw a lot during his tenure (he holds the two highest passing attempts totals for a season in school history) but delivered some tremendous performances, like the 2015 Holiday Bowl. Despite a busted nose, Stave was 18 of 27 for 217 yards on his way to Offensive MVP honors.

Darrell Bevell, 1992-95
Bevell’s career to Wisconsin was not a direct path. He redshirted his first season at Northern Arizona University and then went on a two-year LDS mission trip. When that ended, Bevell decided to play for Barry Alvarez’s struggling program at Wisconsin.

Bevell ended up starting all four seasons at Wisconsin and quarterbacked the program to one of its greatest seasons in school history in 1993, a 10-1-1 record, co-champions of the Big Ten and the school’s first Rose Bowl victory that included his iconic 21-yard touchdown scramble that proved to be the winning touchdown.

Bevell finished his career with several school records that still stand today, including starts (43), most passing yards in a single game (423 vs. Minnesota), pass completions in a single game (35 vs. Iowa), career passing yards (7,686). His 61.4 percent completion percentage ranks fourth in school history, his 26 wins ranks fifth and his .640 winning percentage (26-14-3) is 10th.

Back