Wisconsin football recruiting: Highlights from Badgers' weekend camp, A.J. Taylor sets...

• Thread starter Jake Kocorowski
  • Start date
J

Jake Kocorowski

usa-today-8168758.0.jpg

A big Wisconsin target sets his decision date, and some recruits shined on Sunday at Camp Randall Stadium

The Wisconsin Badgers held the first of a series of weekend camps on Sunday. Many in-state and out-of-state recruits traveled to Madison to partake in the day-long set of testing and drills. We spoke with BadgerNation.com's Ben Worgull on Sunday about who could turn some heads with the Badgers' coaching staff.

Per many in attendance, it appeared the offensive linemen were the studs of the show, while some other position players made their presence known loud and clear to the staff.

BadgerBlitz.com has a free recap of their top performers Sunday, which included in-state offensive linemen Mike Caliendo and Spencer Kanz -- along with Wildwood (LaFayette), Mo.'s Chase Behrndt and some intriguing players at linebacker. Make sure you also check out Scout.com's recap with Worgull and Beth Long ($) and 247 Sports' Evan Flood evaluation ($).

Here's a fun synopsis of the day through the eyes of Twitter:

Big turnout today at #Badgers camp pic.twitter.com/yS9Oa6o7oj

— Benjamin Worgull (@TheBadgerNation) May 31, 2015

Excited to see what #Wisconsin one day camp has in store. Athletes just getting started with position drills. pic.twitter.com/R8br1nN2G1

— Beth Long (@Beth_Long) May 31, 2015

Always thought highly of Spencer Kanz on film. Pretty much what I thought he was in person. FBS player no doubt. #Badgers

— Evan Flood (@Evan_Flood) May 31, 2015

Kamal Martin from Burnsville (MN) really stood out in the WR drills. Great athleticism to go with an impressive frame. #Badgers

— Dan Broughton (@BroughtonRivals) May 31, 2015

Great group of athletes today at our first Wisconsin Football prospect camp! Guys came in and competed!

Taylor Mehlhaff (@tmehlhaff10) May 31, 2015

Doesn't sound like Joe Rudolph will offer any OLs today from camp but could by weeks end #Badgers

— Benjamin Worgull (@TheBadgerNation) May 31, 2015

Watching RB/TE vs LB 1-on-1s and like what I've seen from Morgan Park Lb Sean Williams -- one of the most athletic prospects on the day

Took watching 1 rep of Lafayette (Mo.) OL Chase Behrndt to realize he wrestles. Has that foot drive and speed, plus big push off the line

As noted by BadgerBlitz.com, Glen Ellyn (Glenbard West), Ill. linebacker Sam Brodner impressed during drills, making some waves with this noted athelticism:

2016 Glenbard West ATH Sam Brodner (@sambrodner4) Clocks a 4.47 40 Yard Dash in Madison pic.twitter.com/BKZ5BhAVgJ

— Gus Ramos (@G1Bound) June 1, 2015

Offer watch: 2016 LB Sam Brodner ran a 4.47 40 at #Badgers camp today.

— Jon McNamara (@McNamaraRivals) June 1, 2015

Here's some more tweets from a couple of the participants today (h/t Rival's Dan Broughton):

Great camp at wisconsin! Next stop Illinois, then Kentucky

— Rhashaun Epting (@_StayReckless_) May 31, 2015

Minnesota boys killed wisconsin camp! @otumos @seanjeromeengel @lil_Moe2 @KamalMartin6 pic.twitter.com/R9c6cnSjd0

— Amani Hooker (@amaniball) May 31, 2015

A.J. Taylor sets decision date

The Kansas City (Rockhurst), Mo. athlete spoke with Scout.com in an article posted Sunday, confirming he will make his decision on August 1. The 5'11, 185-pound Taylor -- a 247 Sports composite three-star recruit but rated four stars by both 247 Sports and Scout.com -- visited Wisconsin in late April.

Talking with Scout.com's Derek Young, Taylor said he will be traveling to visit Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, and Maryland before making his decision. All schools but the Tigers are offering Taylor as a running back -- but Missouri, per Taylor, essentially said he can play wherever he wants. The Badgers offered him as a wide receiver.

The visit to Wisconsin in April did leave an impression on him.

"Wisconsin isn't' starting over brand new but they have a new coaching staff," Taylor continued. "Coach Chryst left but he's returned now as their head coach. Their program won't change too much. He has a plan and he is determined to execute it. I won't choose a college because of coaches, but I love the ones that are there. I haven't found one thing wrong with them. I like them a lot right now."

Continue reading...

Back