Wisconsin Basketball Drops Road Game to Virginia

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
On Monday night, Wisconsin dropped yet another game to a Top-25 team. This time, they lost 49-37 on the road to No. 18 Virginia. The game was a defensive slugfest, with both teams shooting very poorly. The Badgers shot 31.3% from the field, 15% from three, and 57.1% from the line. Virginia wasn’t much better. They shot 38.3 from the field and 21.4% from three. Wisconsin was led by Ethan...

Source

Continue reading...

The Badgers are a group of guys with raw talent, but not enough experience to win against real strong teams. But there's hope, even though it might not look like it right now.

I wasn't exactly pleased with how the game was called to be honest. It seemed like it was alright for a player to throw a shoulder into a defender to push them off, and nothing was called. That's an NBA move that's "tolerated," but not even legal there, because it's a charge. Might as well put a hand out, and push the defender away. Then there was traveling. Virginia does it constantly, and gets away with it. It kind of reminds me of the "Jordan step," which was pure traveling, but accepted for some unknown reason.

Had the Badgers gone outside for a coach, I would have hoped they'd have brought Bennett in. He may be one of the top 5 coaches in the game, and his defenses are always strong. He's turned his team into one of the best, year after year. Now, with a little offense, they're going to be tougher and tougher.

Since I wasn't thinking this year would be a big winner, this run against ranked teams will either make or break this team for the rest of the year. It won't be a great year though, so we shouldn't expect it. They're still growing into their roles.

What's hurting this team is that the group of true juniors - Illikainen, Van Vliet, Thomas, and Iverson are just not getting enough done. Iverson is contributing minutes, some scoring and defense, but the other 3 are adding nothing right now. Heck they had to burn Ruevers red-shirt because those first 3 guys listed were contributing nothing. That's the reason we are so weak and young looking right now. This should be a team with 3-4 solid junior starters but instead they are starting 2 frosh and a soph.

What I worry about is next year. What if Happ decides to go to the NBA? Not sure that would be a smart decision for him, but he might go that route. That would make for one tough season - no upperclass big men who can play.

They will get better, but the lack of development has me down on them and thinking a .500 season is about where they will end up - likely not in the tournament.

Back