Wisconsin Badgers 2018 Spring Football Preview: Cornerbacks

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Believe it or not, but Spring is near arrival in Wisconsin and around the Midwest. With that means the sounds of pads popping around Camp Randall Stadium for the first time in months. It also means it is time for us to take stock of the defending Big Ten West division and Orange Bowl champion Wisconsin Badgers program. Previous Previews: Quarterback | As Spring Football gets going inside the Dave...

Source

Continue reading...

Definitely the scariest position for UW. Almost no experience and very little depth. Could be a tough first half of the year for the secondary. May have to outscore some teams. They do have some good young freshman in Burton and Blaylock, but with Blaylock not arriving until fall, I doubt he's able to get in the mix right away. Hopefully Burton can get up to speed in during spring ball and that there are no injuries at CB this year - they don't have much wiggle room at that position.

I have a hunch the Badgers are already addressing the questions at CB. They always have a lot of athletes who are capable of being moved to different positions, and this might be the case for this season as well.

Jim Leonhard will expect all of his defensive backs to play either safety or CB in a pinch, so we might even find someone among our deep men who can add to the position.

But, as indicated, this is probably our most vulnerable position, and could be a little scary if they can't put guys on the field who can cover the bigger and faster guys around the Big 10.

One of the things that will/would help is if we can get three down linemen who can put pressure on the QB. If it happens, it reduces the amount of exposure time our CBs will have.

That's a question as well TW. They lost their 3 most experienced DL to graduation. Another position that will be depending on some young guys to grow-up and be Big-10 ready by October. Sagapolu is the only really experienced guy on the line, though Rand and Loudermilk have gotten some reps and look like they will be capable.

I have no doubt JL will make the secondary "competent", but highly doubt they'll be as solid as last year. I think they'll give up some points this year, especially to the better Big-10 teams. Hopefully the offense will be firing on all cylinders and they'll be able to put up enough point to outscore a few of the better teams on the schedule.

Back