Which 60’s Packers team was the best?

kingkoopa

Reaction score
I recently finished David Marinass’s Lombardi biography.(which is a great read btw) The book covers all of Vince Lombardi’s 60’s Packers teams. As I was reading it I was wondering to myself which was the best Packers team of the 60’s?

I’m too young to have watched them play, but from what I’ve read it seems like the 62 team was the best, whereas the SB winning teams were actually the worst of the group because they were old and past their prime.

What are your guys thoughts on this?

I had both Lombardi biographies, stupidly lent them out, and never got them back.

I’m old enough to remember those teams.
And, YES, the 62’ team was a dominant team. Easily the best of the bunch.

I was at a lot of games during that era. Watched the rest on TV. I felt the '62 team was the best. They should have gone unbeaten, except for a Lions Turkey Day turkey by the Packers. It promoted Lombardi to say the Packers wouldn't be playing any of those games again.

That was the game where his original team played their last games together. That off-season, there were several changes on the team, and they slipped some in a rebuilding mode. But that year was special in several ways.

It was also the year when many of our players like Hornung were off to Ft. Lewis, WA with the National Guard. They'd get leave, and fly to games wherever the Packers were playing. Not a lot of practice for them, but it developed depth on the roster. It was also the first year that Nitschke took over as MLB. They were pretty darned special!

Although, the media and fans do not consider the Packers of the 60's true champions since there was no SB yet. They have the Pats and Steelers I think at 6 SB's and us at 4. Personally I think they should have the 9 championships shown when they show the most SB's for teams. This way people know the Packers would actually have 13 SB's if it would have been named that. :)

Don't understand the "9" championships. If it's not a typo, to which nine are you referring?

If one looks at the "Super Bowl Era", as most references will specify when discussing records, don't forget to add the Cowboys and 49ers in there ahead of the Pack with five. As long as one clearly defines what championships are involved, I'm fine with it. Remember that the first three Pack titles couldn't be called SB wins because there wasn't ANY championship game. Also, the Colts and Vikings were NFL champions in '68 and '69, even though they lost the big one. Heck, the Browns won four in a row before joining the NFL and adding another in their first year with two more back-to-back a couple of years later.

I don't personally put much stock in the 13 championships. I understand they're there, and it's part of the 'storied franchise' history, but I'm 73, and nearly half of those were before I was born. I don't pay any attention 1920's Yankees, so, if I'm going to be consistent, I'm not going overboard on the 20s-40s Packers.

Again, if one designates 'NFL' champions, the Pack has their 13. If one specifies 'Super Bowl (era)' they've got four. Maybe 'after pro football became a major sport in the 50s', they've got the seven.

Back