Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
For what it's worth

FL Combine: Sunday Notes. 12:35 p.m.
Monday's defensive back workout will set the pecking order at safety with the prime suspects being Keanu Neal of Florida, Darian Thompson of Boise State and Vonn Bell of Ohio State. As previously mentioned, Neal has been outperforming Bell regularly in combine training.

The belief is at least one safety will go in the late part of the opening round, and there's a chance two end up in the first frame. I'm hearing if you want a chance of selecting one of the top safeties, you'll have to move in front of Tennessee at the top of Round 2. I'm told the Baltimore Ravens are a team that could trade back into the bottom part of Round 1 to grab one of the safeties.

I'm told the Oakland Raiders won't let Darian Thompson get past them in the second round.

[BCOLOR=#ffff00]As of right now, people feel Jack Conklin is the player most desired by the Green Bay Packers, but it's very unlikely the Michigan State tackle falls that far. The contingency plans for the Pack seems to be Jason Spriggs at this point.[/BCOLOR]

Teams were impressed with Germain Ifedi's workout, and there's a feeling the Texas A&M offensive tackle could slide into the late part of Round 1. I'm told right now Seattle and Denver are the teams targeting Ifedi late in round one.

NFL Combine: Saturday Notes. 2:55 p.m.

There are a number of teams who believe Jack Conklin will move into the draft's initial 15 picks after his workout yesterday.

Teams were also impressed with the workout of Le'Raven Clark, and many feel he has moved into the second round.

People at the combine believe free agent offensive tackle Mitchell Schwartz will eventually sign a contract that will average near or above $8 million annually.
I'm told the Colts are in no hurry to re-sign tight end Coby Fleener.
The belief at the combine is there will be a big market for Tashaun Gipson, and he's in line for a big pay day.
Keep an eye on Javon Hargrave of South Carolina State during tomorrow's defensive line workouts. I'm told he could move into the second day of the draft with a good combine performance.
Personally, I'm not a fan of Joel Stave's next level potential, but I'm told he will be drafted. Teams love his 6-foot-5 1/2, 235-pound frame and arm strength. While they admit he needs technical work, the feeling is Stave is worth a late-round pick and, at the very least, a spot on the practice squad.
Finally, those in attendance when Jaylon Smith weighed in yesterday tell me his injured leg looked terrible when he stepped on the scale. Smith struggled moving the leg as well as controlling the leg. I was told it was a glum mood and there was a lot of sadness for Smith from the scouts and coaches on hand. From one source I heard, "I felt like crying for the kid." There are a number of teams who think Smith could fall into the draft's last day.tc(

Spriggs FTW if true

I like Conklin and agree it's unlikely he will be there. With Spriggs he's being moving up but the Packers don't have a huge need for a OT unless they are not planning to resign Bakatari. If that's the case go ahead and draft Spriggs. Otherwise I am thinking it has to be a player that can help on this defense and maybe take a mid round tackle to shore up your depth on the OL.

If Jaylon Smith is bad as people say yeah he probably goes from top 10 pick too a 5th or a 6th round pick were a team can afford to gamble on him coming back in a couple years.

I like Conklin and agree it's unlikely he will be there. With Spriggs he's being moving up but the Packers don't have a huge need for a OT unless they are not planning to resign Bakatari. If that's the case go ahead and draft Spriggs. Otherwise I am thinking it has to be a player that can help on this defense and maybe take a mid round tackle to shore up your depth on the OL.

If Jaylon Smith is bad as people say yeah he probably goes from top 10 pick too a 5th or a 6th round pick were a team can afford to gamble on him coming back in a couple years.

TT board doesn't work that way... I got podo( the year we took Bulaga because of "other needs" if TT/MM are targeting OL then OL it will be. As for Smith no you don't draft a guy who may not see the field until 2017 if you think your close to competing for a SB... you go get a LB who can tackle and cover in space because right now even Matthews looks pedestrian vs top notch TE and backs.

Jaylon Smith is spoiled goods fair or not.. if he drops late 2nd it wouldn't shock me.sh))

TT board doesn't work that way... I got podo( the year we took Bulaga because of "other needs" if TT/MM are targeting OL then OL it will be. As for Smith no you don't draft a guy who may not see the field until 2017 if you think your close to competing for a SB... you go get a LB who can tackle and cover in space because right now even Matthews looks pedestrian vs top notch TE and backs.

Jaylon Smith is spoiled goods fair or not.. if he drops late 2nd it wouldn't shock me.sh))

Jaylon Smith I am thinking day 3 pick honest now and if he's there round 5 I maybe gamble on him. Right now from reports I hear 2017 would be a at best he will miss.

I think you're being kind to Matthews, wasn't talked about a lot I think out of deference to the all pro but he was a liability in coverage game over game.

Intersting about the OL. I'm always nervous about guys who rocket into the first but good feet are good feet. Forgive me for having flashbacks to Sherrod where we reached out of need and took a guy with 1st round measurable s but third round feet.

Lord knows there is no way I'm going to get real negative about taking quality OL, because I don't think we've done it enough, but all things considered I'd rather have a defensive guy in Rd 1 and take my chances on a guy like Clark being there in Rd 2.

Jaylon Smith I am thinking day 3 pick honest now and if he's there round 5 I maybe gamble on him. Right now from reports I hear 2017 would be a at best he will miss.

If he's there round 4 I'd gamble. If he returns close to what he was he would be the steal of the draft. But of course this is a big if. I saw him interviewed on the NFLN last night after the workouts and he was very impressive in his demeanor and answers to questions from the reporter. This is the type of guy you want in your locker room.

I'm staying away. The nerve damage is real and just cannot see it. I feel bad for the kid

Very sad about Jaylon Smith. I wouldn't be opposed to a 5-7 round lottery ticket. Maybe 4th, since we should have a compensatory pick, too.

I see Jaylon Smith insurance policy is that if he falls out of first round he gets 700K and then gets 100K for ever pick after he's not picked. To get full 5 million he has on himself he would have to be picked after the 74th pick in the draft. If this happens and he gets this he still stands to lose out on 15-20 million on what he would have got if he was a top 5-10 pick.

Back